News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Series 62- Immaculate and 100% Original

Started by emerson59, March 26, 2015, 12:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emerson59

Hello, I inherited a 1959 Cadillac Series 62 (Red with White Convertible top and red interior). The car is immaculate, the appraiser stated it's one of the nicest he has ever seen. It has won national awards. Can anybody help me with suggestions as to the best place to sell it? (Auctions, Auto broker, etc.). Also, I inherited a 1978 Eldorado, again, immaculate and National Award Winner...same thing...suggestions on where to sell?

Quentin Hall

And the appraisal was.  . ? I suggest you try this forum with a price that you are comfortable selling at. The market will dictate if you are on the money. The 59 is a high dollar car and could also be considered as a drawcard for most classic car auctions. I suggest you investigate Mecum, Barrett Jackson and the myriad other auction houses. If it is correct and in perfect condition you are potentially sitting on more than $200k. So careful thought is prudent.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

emerson59

Thanks for the heads upon the auctions. Yes, the appraised value came in at over $200k. However, I mis-spoke, it's a Series 62, I just pulled the paperwork. I'll make adjustments now.

Quentin Hall

There is a big difference between an Eldorado and a series 62 in value.  It would have to be one of the very best in the world correct in every way to command $200k. Put some pics up and a few people who know will nee able to assist. I have owned a 59 Eldorado so I am familiar with these cars.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Blade

If you really don't need the money right now I suggest you sit on them for a while as what I have seen on auctions Caddys are not pulling top dollars at all. Just a couple of months ago I witnessed a '59 Series 62 and an Eldorado convert both going for WAY less than what they should have been. Seems that muscles are the trend right now, they are the bread winners.

Please put some pics on this forum, you might have better luck.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Blade on March 26, 2015, 10:12:49 AM
If you really don't need the money right now I suggest you sit on them for a while as what I have seen on auctions Caddys are not pulling top dollars at all. Just a couple of months ago I witnessed a '59 Series 62 and an Eldorado convert both going for WAY less than what they should have been. Seems that muscles are the trend right now, they are the bread winners.

Please put some pics on this forum, you might have better luck.

If you are referring to the two '59s that just crossed the block at Barrett Jackson, the black and red Series 62 Convertible was an abortion; the Ritz was okay - just okay - with a love-it or loathe-it color combo.

Neither was an example of excellent preserved original which is a different conversation entirely...and money.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Quote from: emerson59 on March 26, 2015, 12:26:22 AM
Hello, I inherited a 1959 Cadillac Series 62 (Red with White Convertible top and red interior). The car is immaculate, the appraiser stated it's one of the nicest he has ever seen. It has won national awards. Can anybody help me with suggestions as to the best place to sell it? (Auctions, Auto broker, etc.). Also, I inherited a 1978 Eldorado, again, immaculate and National Award Winner...same thing...suggestions on where to sell?

If the car is such as you describe, the necessity of putting the car through a major collector car auction is precisely zero.

Not only will the auction take a 10% cut right off the top but you will also be responsible for transport and auction registration charges, not to mention hotel accommodation, travel expenses, meals etc.

A 100% excellent original 1959 Cadillac convertible will need nothing more than a well presented listing on eBay and buyers will be beating a path to your door - and fetch every bit as much money as the same offered at live, in-person auction, perhaps even more because the car will have worldwide exposure.

Would very much appreciate if you can post some images here on the forum.

Congratulations of your inheritance. It sounds like a treasure.

Walter Youshock

Please consider taking loads of pictures.   If this car is as original as described, it would be a great example for the club's authenticity manual.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

wrefakis

this is a nice restored car seen at Hershey it must cost a ton of $$$ to ship a 59 series 62 to the planet where they sell for 200+

59-in-pieces

Mysti,
Is your car on eBay now for $200,000, with a reserve - out of Washington DC.
You may have also noted that a 59 Eldorado - tired - out of Maryland - is being offered without a reserve for $90,000 - 1 bid.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

g27g28

Good luck with that opening bid and the reserve set even higher.  How did it win a national first place with the chrome tail light spears that were only used on Fleetwoods?
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

Quote from: g27g28 on March 26, 2015, 01:07:56 PM
Good luck with that opening bid and the reserve set even higher.  How did it win a national first place with the chrome tail light spears that were only used on Fleetwoods?

Wheelcovers are for 60 Special/Eldorado too.

AACA standards much more forgiving than CLC.

Recent CLC judging revisions even more stringent.

Blade

Quote from: ericdev on March 26, 2015, 10:50:49 AM
If you are referring to the two '59s that just crossed the block at Barrett Jackson, the black and red Series 62 Convertible was an abortion; the Ritz was okay - just okay - with a love-it or loathe-it color combo.

Neither was an example of excellent preserved original which is a different conversation entirely...and money.

Eric:

I happened to know more about the Eldo because it's the only known convertible in the same color as my Series 62, however the Eldos didn't come in that color so it is an actual factory SO car, on top of that it's 1 of 99 with bucket seats. I agree it's not a 100 point resto but it's a unique in it's way. With that, this car sold a $100,000 MORE just a few months before it was put on Barett-Jackson. Matter of fact, the person who purchased it back was the same person who sold it for a $100K more (talk about a smart deal!).

Don't know much about the black Series 62 so I'll take your word on that.

Quote from: Blade on March 26, 2015, 02:02:36 PM
Eric:

I happened to know more about the Eldo because it's the only known convertible in the same color as my Series 62, however the Eldos didn't come in that color so it is an actual factory SO car, on top of that it's 1 of 99 with bucket seats. I agree it's not a 100 point resto but it's a unique in it's way. With that, this car sold a $100,000 MORE just a few months before it was put on Barett-Jackson. Matter of fact, the person who purchased it back was the same person who sold it for a $100K more (talk about a smart deal!).

Don't know much about the black Series 62 so I'll take your word on that.

Tibor,

I drove that '59 Biarritz back in 1998. I knew both the car and its (then) owner well.

Being SO does not necessarily translate to particularly desirable or valuable. In this case, I do not consider the SO color combo an asset to the car, rather a talking point among more knowledgeable 1959 Cadillac enthusiasts but little more.

The fact that the car's most recent victim - er - owner - took a $100,000 bath within a couple months should be interpreted as further testimony to the car's limited desirability. (Limited for a '59 Biarritz, that is)

Also, that "99 bucket seat '59 Biarritzes" is a myth - possibly a garbled fact from the 99 Eldorado Broughams in 1959. The figure is estimated closer to 350 bucket seat cars based on the proportion of known '59 Biarritz today with bucket seats. It is NOT 99. There was a big discussion on that here a while back.

At any rate, neither car was yardstick by which to estimate the value of pristine excellent original cars which are in a different league entirely.

That point is moot anyway in regards to the subject at hand:  The OP's car is a total restoration, not as described in the heading.

**Incidentally the exterior color has nothing to do with the car being Special Order.

Since the color (Kensington Green) is a standard regular production 1959 Cadillac color, it would not need to have been special ordered - merely ordered as any other color. Many people do not realize this. Many Eldorados were ordered with non Eldorado exterior color but this does NOT make them special orders!

If a NON STANDARD 1959 Cadillac color was ordered - THAT would need to be a special order, but that is not the case here.

The reason this '59 Biarritz was SO is due to the interior combination of white leather with green trim - carpet, dash etc.

1959/1960 Cadillac Biarritz White leather seating was only offered with Gray dash/carpet/ trim as a regular interior combination.

The specified green interior trim with the white leather (instead of standard gray) was the Special Order on this car. 

druby

Being that the car was in the Washington DC, Pennsylvainia, Maryland area, who did the appraisal? Are you familiar with Marc Tuwiner as he could give you guidance in selling your car. Having said that, in my own personal opinion, your starting price is extremely too high for Ebay, I can only imagine what the reserve is on this car. Good luck. I was thinking of putting my 58 Cadillac Biarritz Convertible Body#309 up for sale, but I would only do a cash deal on this car.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood

76eldo

Putting this guy together with Tuwiner is like introducing a baby chick to alligator.
No disrespect intended but he just needs to lower the price and the car will sell.

Appraisers are a waste. Looking at completed auctions and sold auctions on eBay gives anyone a realistic real time view on what is selling for how much.

The hubcaps and blisters can be easily changed.

The error is starting the bids at $200,000.
You can make the reserve a million and start the bidding at a dollar if you just want to see how high it will go.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Don't forget about the door mounted searchlight... ::)

wrefakis

I doubt troby lost any money on the green car

38% had buckets I have all body numbers

how could you not love marc?

wait and see what the 2  junks ( CHOPPED 59 BIARRITZ) bring in florida this weekend

crazy money has left the market

Bill Young

If it's about a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible and Bill Refakis says it , You can take it to the Bank.