News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Axle nut washer

Started by Steve Rinaldo, March 26, 2015, 04:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

Several people sent me the part number of the washer 231-254. If you have this part please let me know. Steve

jclasalle

I'm also looking for 4 of these parts. If I can find them I'll post the results

Jack Carroll

TJ Hopland

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jclasalle

I need them for my '39 LaSalle . The master parts list them used on 1935-1948 Cadillac and LaSalle thru 1940.

They go on the end of the rear axel once the brake drum has been installed on the axel. the .060 thick steel plate
has 2 bent down tabs fit over a raised rib on the brake drum and once the nut is tightened on the axel the other 2 tabs on the plate are bent upward until touching 2 adjacent edges on the hex nut. This is a safety feature that keeps the wheel nut from coming loose on the axel much like the sheet metal locking plates on the drive shaft universals 

Jack Carroll

Steve Rinaldo

Jack, I we had a good pattern we might be able to have some made, My car didm.t have any and last week the axle nut came off and was rattling around in the wheel cover. I looked in McMaster Carr and they have Nylock  nuts in 1x14 size. I was thinking about using these with a regular waher. What do you think. Steve

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

McVey's still list these in their catalog.  $28 a pair.  May be available elsewhere also.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Jim Stamper

I am sure I still have a pattern, they are not hard to make.  Take an appropriate piece of metal stock, draw on the pattern, drill a hole and die grind it out to the right size. Redraw the pattern centering on the hole, and saw it out with a metal blade in a saber saw, saws all , or metal band saw if available, sawing a tad outside the line. Grind it to make it the final shape and then smooth the edges with a file. I bead blast and paint them afterwords. It doesn't take very long to make nice ones and they go right on the car, no waiting.

They do seem necessary, I bought a 40 Lincoln one time and the car arrived with the left nut rattling in the hubcap and the tire and wheel had moved outboard and burned the paint off of the skirt. With those it is the cotter pin but an ugly result might still be possible with no plates like our cars have.

Jim Stamper, CLC#13470

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello Steve. I was in need of a pair 15 years ago and I had my machine shop make some for me. I have 2 left over. You would have to remove a slight burr around the edge and enlarge the axle hole a little. The were made from the pattern of an original. Price is $ 15.00 for the pair, which include shipping in USA... John C. Lehman... CLC # 26365...

Steve Rinaldo

I'll take them. My phone number is 770 578 0251. Give me a call so we can make the arrangements. Steve

joeceretti

For anyone else wanting them. I bought a pair of these for my car. They are the same dimensions but made from slightly heavier sheet stock than the ones that were on my car.

http://www.classicandexotic.com/store/p-863-1937-cadillac-rear-axle-to-brake-drum-nut-lock-plate.aspx

Stinson

June 5, 2017
Hello, I have been trying to reach them over several days by phone and email but no response. Do you have one to sell?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Stinson

Well, they responded today saying the price per each is $15.50. Okay, but why send it UPS for another $15.99 when it could ship by USPS for about a $1.00 postage stamp?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Glen

I have the same complaint.  I try to avoid on-line stores that only ship by UPS or FEDEX.   
USPS is frequently cheaper.  I don’t necessarily need it tomorrow.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104