News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Hydro matic transmission linkage

Started by Caddy41girl, March 27, 2015, 10:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy41girl

Hoping for a little help, went for my first road test with my newly rebuilt 346 motor and new brakes but the transmission will not shift out of first gear. First thing I notice after taking a peak under the hood, at the linkage, is that the rod that comes from around the distributor down, linking to the rod that runs back towards the transmission, is hitting a hose. The rod has a slight bend in it and I thought that someone had put it on upside down because the bend is toward the top. Have taken it off and turned it around which does make it clear the hose but now there is two much tension on the top, when I try to hook it back up to the bracket on top. I do not see another way to move the hose, so I don't think that is an option. If I bend the linkage to make it work, I am afraid it will throw everything else off. Which way is correct, bend at top or bottom? Or do I bend the hose? Does anyone have experience with this issue?

TMoore - NTCLC

I am not the expert here, and cannot take a look at my car right now, but others with correct info will be along shortly.

From your pictures, it LOOKS like the TV rod is hitting the over-flow line from the carb - if so, then that line is not in the correct position - it should come off the pass. side of the carb, and go down and hug the bell housing of the transmission (secured to the bell housing with a clamp on one one of the center bolts) and continue to hug the bell housing down to the discharge point.  Then, the throttle linkage adjustment is very much a fine tuning thing.

Here is the portion of the manual with the procedure to adjust the linkage - see if any of this helps, and with others input, you should be okay if  the transmission is in good shape otherwise.

Caddy41girl

It looks like it is in the picture, but it is not hitting the overflow, it is hitting the oil hose as seen in picture 1. In the picture I have the linkage turned so that the bend is at the bottom, where it does not hit the hose but I am not sure if this is correct. It was turned with the bend at the top when I got the car.

Steve Passmore

The bend is supposed to be at the top and have a specific angle. This rod was completely missing on my car but made no difference to the way it changed gear up or down so I can't see this as being your problem. As there is no kick-down with these the rod supposedly tells the transmission the throttle position and based on that position the correct gear is selected.  Doesn't work on mine even though I have replaced the rod.
I think its your oil pipe thats the issue here. Mine does not attach at that position.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Caddy41girl

Great, I don't see a way to reposition the oil line. Can you send me a picture where yours is located? Could it have something to do with my car being automatic instead of a manual transmission?

TMoore - NTCLC

The bend goes at the top (see the .pdf attached earlier) - using that as your map, there should be no interference with the aux. oil filter line.

Steve Passmore

I don't have the oil filter on my Hydromatic car but you could connect to the middle gallery position if its in the way, it doesn't have to be the back one. One of my other cars with a filter has it from the front.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Doug Houston

This is about time I put you wise to the design of the transmission linkage. It was a tad complicated, and the adjustment of the TV (throttle rod) is very critical.

I hope that that original linkage was kept in the car when the transmission was rebuilt.

I have four '41 Cadillacs, three of which have Hydra-Matic transmissions, that I rebuilt myself. The transmissions are postwar models, which I  prefer for their performance.I also have a '41 Oldsmobile with a 1950 transmission in it.

Please e-mail m,e, and I can send you the page from the Cadillac parts book.  I am in he Michigan section of the membership book.

38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Caddy41girl

Thanks for your reply Doug, I have one book, but I believe it shows the manual transmission instead of the automatic. I think the automatic were more rare in the 41? Most of the info I find is for a manual transmission, is the linkage different? You can post an attachment on here of the page, please. I believe that my car is all original and I don't think that anyone has messed with the linkage. My transmission guy looked it up in a book he has and said that what the book says is crap? Is this the case? I am going to look it over again today, hook the linkage up the way it was and see about moving the oil hose. I hope this helps. The thing that I am not sure of is when I move the oil hose away so that the linkage is not hitting it anymore, will have have the shift out of first that I am looking for, I am skeptical that the linkage is the problem. I hope it is that easy.

jackworstell

....Was the transmission rebuilt as well as the motor ?

Jack Worstell    #7558

Caddy41girl

No the transmission has not been rebuilt, yet...... >:( I am hoping I don't have to do that.

Smedly

Is the linkage set up the same on a 46?
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Caddy41girl on March 29, 2015, 10:35:33 AM
I am skeptical that the linkage is the problem. I hope it is that easy.

As I said, my transmission changed up and down even without the linkage, just would not kick into a lower gear. I don't believe its your problem.

Heres a link to the Auto manual.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/1940s/1941/
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Caddy41girl

What do you boys think of this new oil line!!? Have not taken it for another drive yet to see if this changed anything but sure do like how this looks!