News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 DeVille with Drum Front Brakes query

Started by rustytractor, March 31, 2015, 01:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

I'm overhauling the brakes on my '68 DeVille which has drums all round - I'm unsure if more were fitted with discs than drums in '68 but I can't seem to find a correct front brake harware kit anywhere. It's not that the old springs etc are toast, it's just preferable to replace everything in one go.

All the front hardware kits prior to '68 seem pretty much the same for most 60's years cars but the '68 (or at least my '68) has a number of differences.

I've attached a couple of photo's of the stripped and cleaned components and wondered if anyone could shed any light on whether the brakes on the car are correct or if they've been messed with over the years. Even the rear cylinders are a different size at 15/16" (they're larger bore than the rears on a '68 with discs at the front) and they don't seem easy to find either.

The brakes worked fine other than weeping cylinders but it makes sense to replace everything if possible.
Too many cars - too little time !!

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Russel,
The brake shoe hold down springs and clips are readily available for about $3.00 at Rock Auto.  In regards to the retraction springs, I would strongly suggest re-using yours if they are not stretched or damaged, in that the quality and physical characteristics of what might be out there can vary considerably.
I have a few kits for my '66 (same as yours) that I did not use because I did not like the looks of them and re-used the originals.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

rustytractor

Rock Autos are great for many parts - I bring stuff in pretty much every 2 weeks but they don't have a kit for '68 front drum brakes.

If you look at the photos the hold down pins are two lengths and there are more springs than usual.

Although I'd be happier replacing the lot I've managed by using some bits from a rear kit and some of the original parts - I was more interested in whether anyone else had encountered the same problem and had found a proper kit somewhere.

DeVille68

I was on that route before. There is no front kit available. If there is enough interest, I will reproduce the return springs for the front. But they will be expensive.

Check out my brake topic here: http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=132601.msg296323#new
Also my blog with lots of information about the 68: http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=130360.0

You will also find a lot of interesting answers by using the search functionality.
Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

rustytractor

Quote from: rustytractor on March 31, 2015, 01:47:57 PM
Rock Autos are great for many parts - I bring stuff in pretty much every 2 weeks but they don't have a kit for '68 front drum brakes.

If you look at the photos the hold down pins are two lengths and there are more springs than usual.

Although I'd be happier replacing the lot I've managed by using some bits from a rear kit and some of the original parts - I was more interested in whether anyone else had encountered the same problem and had found a proper kit somewhere.

Thanks Nicolas,
I read the story of your 68 a while back with great interest, you've certainly gained some expertise that's for sure!

I find the entire front brake saga really interesting - why go to the trouble to modify the drum front brakes from the earlier model for a brief period and then change them to disc brakes ? If this style was used for less than one model year I understand why parts aren't readily available.

Luckily my brake hardware was basically ok (other than a few minor springs and bits which I got around by using rear kit) so I think I'm out of trouble, it's just not my way to do a partial fix unless there's no alternative.

DeVille68

Quote from: rustytractor on March 31, 2015, 02:44:44 PM
Luckily my brake hardware was basically ok (other than a few minor springs and bits which I got around by using rear kit) so I think I'm out of trouble, it's just not my way to do a partial fix unless there's no alternative.

Ok, very good. Would be interesting what spring stiffness you measured. As you have read, my measurements of the replacement springs were not too far apart from the old springs. (at least higher is what I would suspect).
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)