News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Engine Mounting '60 Eldorado

Started by Whit, April 01, 2015, 04:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Am I correct in assuming that the engine-transmission combination in my '60 Eldorado (390) is a three point mount...motor mounts and the transmission mount? Seems like a lot of weight for a three point mount.

Thanks for experienced input...

Whit

Walter Youshock

Yep.  Standard practice on rwd vehicles. 

1960 introduced a spring style transmission mount meant to absorb any vibrations.   It was referred to as "a cushion of velvet".
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Whit

Walter:

Thanks for the re-assurance...I have new mounts for all, just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something.

Whit

76eldo

I looked under mine.  Saw a lot of grease but no velvet.  8)

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I first looked under my CDV, I thought someone had done a butchers job of making the trans mount.   My car had been fitted with a 454 and TH400, so when I saw the bent piece of metal, with a couple of extra holes drilled in it to suit the TH400, I wasn't impressed.

It wasn't till a few years later that I found out it was original.   I thought it was probably built by the same bloke that made the jack-base mounting in the trunk.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Whit

What raised my concern was the brace in front of the transmission mounting plate. It looked like something might just need to go there, but obviously not.

Whit