News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1971 Cadillac Eldorado Grill

Started by Mr cadillac, April 02, 2015, 11:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr cadillac

Good Morning! Just wondering if anyone knows if a 1972 Eldorado Grill would fit on a 1971 Eldorado. I thought yes they look almost identical, but inquiring about one for sale it said not compatible with 1971. Can anyone expound on this with their expertise? Thanks! Norman Jenney
Norman Jenney......Mr Cadillac

Alan Harris CLC#1513

My trusty 1973 Master parts book lists 3633732 for 1971 Eldo as "grille, less header, bracket and supports" for retail of $137.85. For 1972 Eldo, 1498993 is described as "grille, plastic, less header molding and brackets" for retail of $81.95.

I am guessing that 1971 was anodized aluminum and the cheaper 1972 grille was plated plastic. They are not the same, but might be interchangeable.

J. Skelly

That is correct, Alan.  The '71 is anodized aluminum and the '72 is chrome-plated plastic.  The fins/vanes are oriented differently.  The plastic filler piece on the bottom of the grille is also different due to the design change of the fins/vanes. 

Norman,

I take it that you are looking at a '72 grille since you can't find a '71?
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Mr cadillac

Yes already bought the 1972 Grill so if it does not fit I am stuck with it. Will have to see when it arrives :-[
Norman Jenney......Mr Cadillac