News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Cadillac - Engine squealing

Started by Christian Aicher, April 05, 2015, 11:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian Aicher

Hi everyone,

My car surprises me every day. Now the engine makes a squealing sound increases in pitch with increased rpm. It only does it when the engine is warm and it only started last year. Before she was running fine.
First I thought the belts are slipping since it just sounds like that and I tightened them, but it did not improve. Next I replaced all the belts - still no improvement. Finally, today after I warmed the engine up, I took the belts off one by one to find the culprit. In the end I had all belts off, including the A/C belt, the PS belt and even the generator belt (which also drives the the water pump) and the engine still squeals. Since the water pump was no engaged, it can be excluded from the suspect list.
The noise seems to come from either the front of the engine or the driver side. The 58 Caddy has an auxiliary vacuum pump built in the oil pump. Could a defect vacuum pump make that squealing sound?

Stumped and very frustrated, open for any advice.  :-[ :-[ :-[
Chris
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
1958 Buick Super Riviera

Dave Shepherd

:A vacuum leak can cause that type of noise or any gear driven component, the difference in sound can be hard to trace, usually a vacuum leak changes or decreases as the engine is loaded.

Christian Aicher

Update: A friend of mine pointed me in the right direction. It is the front crankshaft seal. He told me to squirt some ATF on the crankshaft between the balancer and timing chain cover to get some lubrication to front seal. And would you believe it - the squealing stopped. At least for now.
I guess it is time to change the seal.

Chris
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
1958 Buick Super Riviera