News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Peculiar electrical issue 78 Eldorado

Started by bill06447, April 06, 2015, 07:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill06447

Took the Biarritz out this afternoon. Noticed light shining on my left foot-the under dash courtesy light is on. It goes out when I open the door and the others come on (opposite of what I'd expect). It also shuts off if I rotate the headlamp switch to the courtesy light position. Any ideas as to where to start? I took the bulb out in the meantime.

Thanks, Bill

beastly beauties

It seems like just that one light is being fed through the ground circuit. Make sure the light holder is securely fastened to the dash first. There is a junction block under the drivers side kick panel behind the parking brake pedal. Check there to see if something is unplugged for that bulb. I believe there are orange wires connected there which feed all the courtesy lights. There might be something touching there that can cause this problem. You might want to check the door contact switch while your in that area.  Let us know what you find out.   Good Luck,   David Symonds

Scot Minesinger

The light socket should have two wires because one is power, and one is switched ground (the door jam switch).  remove the light socket so it is hanging in the air by two wires.  Then it should work normally.  If it does, you know there is a short to ground and you can take another look at how it is mounted and possibly  easily fix it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bill06447

Thanks for the suggestions. When it stops raining I'll poke around and post what I find.

Bill

bill06447

All better. The antenna fuse was blown, replaced it and everything back to normal (who woulda thunk?) Thanks for the help, guys!

Bill