News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Eldorado windshield

Started by 60eldo, April 08, 2015, 06:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I will be replacing my windshield soon and am wondering if anyone out there has done this recently and can tell me what I can expect. Do I need a new rubber and where the best place is to get one. Will I need new clips also. What else will I need so that when I start I don t forget anything. I also heard somewhere that the roof liner must come down,,,,why,,,,,any help would be great,,,thanks
Jon. Kluczynski

Grant Owen

You will need a new rubber & clips the rubber & clips are the same as other GM cars. Clips ebay item 350927249594 . The headliner has to be pulled down from the front to get to the top molding nuts. You should note that if you are replacing the Windshield new ones will be generic GM so they will not have the same curve that Cadillac screens have, if your screen needs replacing I would look for a good used Genuine Cadillac Screen. Hope this helps.

Ken Perry

Some 60 Cads do not have nuts on the inside to hold down the chrome at the top of the windshield. To find out if you have nuts on the inside,take off a sunvisor and if there are nuts,you will see a nut, threw the hole. If not you will have to take the clips loos from the out side,with a special tool. If that is the case,you do not have to take head liner loos.As far as the curve of the glass,I have a lot of 59/60 Cads and there are a few different curves. Different brands of glass are made different,seems to me the newer the glass,the less curve. I never heard of Chevy being different.  Auto City Classic sells new ones for $299.oo plus shipping. They have very little curve,but fit OK. The bottom of the dog leg does'nt fit as well as factory. I have a factory chevy windshield in a 60 Coupe,I will have to go look again to see that curve. I have walked around my place looking at nothing but the curve of windshields in all my 59 and 60 Cads over 40 of them,just to see the differences! I think they are just cutting corners like on everything else,less glass,less effort,more money !!! Good luck. 8) Ken Perry       
Cadillac Ken

JoeKarasinski

I've only done windshields in the 4 door and assumed the coupe would be the same. the 4 doors I've done the top moldings bolts on and the headliner needs to be dropped to get to the nuts. 61 and newer I've found to be clipped on but I'm no expert. I've made my living installing windshields for 30 years but honestly I've only worked on maybe 30 pre 1965 windshields in all those years.

If you have the shop manuals they will explain the replacement. It's a big job.

Grant Owen

Ken, the screen Cadillac had when new did have a bigger curve than other GM products, I also have never seen a 59 or 60 Cadillac Coupe that has had the front Screen top moulding  that clips in it always used nuts ,  the rear screen top moulding did just clip in. Also I would be careful on getting a cheap repo as the Glass is usually thinner & they don't fit that great. I have never dealt with Auto City Glass but would be careful  as they sell things like the front door upper frame as being the same for left & Right they are not they have just made a cheap generic part that wouldn't fit & seal properly.

Ken Perry

Well I knew about the curve,it does look better.Just didn't know it was Cad only.I was just reading the post on the wanted section.I have put in a lot of windsields but never worked ata glass shop.Interesting stuff to know. As for the clip type top trim it does exist the last 60 Cad windshield I pullud was that way I have sold them before and had to take them out a few times.The ones with nuts are way easyer to get out. I have the one out of the 60 still and could send a picture also have a few extras in the trim pile. I have found a lot of little differences in early 1960s and late 1960s. When I find something different I just go look at my other cars and see what they have,Just goes to show you can alays learn more. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Tpicks55

Look at www.windshieldstogo.com  Prices are not too bad and if you are close to one of their installers they come to you.  Just a thought.
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS