News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Tension wiper cable

Started by rocket52, April 09, 2015, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocket52

Can anybody tell me how I have to put the pulley of the wiper back together ?
I know that I have to press the shaft to tighten te cables but when I do that nothing happens, the cable stay quit loose.

Thank you,

Everhard
Netherlands

Walter Youshock

That's the procedure.   Push inward on the transmission with the wiper arm removed and the spring inside the transmission tightens the cables.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

rocket52

I was wondering if anybody has a picture of how the left (drivers side) of the wiper transmission has to be put together.
I'm not sure about the way I have the put the spring-mechanism on the shaft. It has to tighten the tension clockwise I guess.
But it goes counter-clockwise when I put the spring on it and then the cables go slack...

The others thing is that I saw a picture of an Pontiac. There the cables of the right mechanism are cross each other (cables on 1st and 4th middle wheel). In my car the left mechanism cables are crossing (cables 2nd and 3th middle wheel). Is that correct ?

Thank you for your help !

Walter Youshock

That spring on the end doesn't tension the cables.  The purpose of that spring is to help the wiper arms return from the outer ends of the windshield.  The tension spring is inside the transmission, kind of the same principle as a window shade.

Try the tensioning with the return spring removed.  Your cables should tighten up.  Then install the return spring with the wiper arms installed, wipers off and in the park position.   That return spring goes on so there's a 1/8 inch gap between the rubber covered tang an that housing.

I have a book but it's buried.   I'd have to do some digging to find it.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

rocket52