News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

55' 331 carter carb part. Broke, can I fix?

Started by 55 cadi, April 12, 2015, 04:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

Hello all,

The choke plate on my carter carb off of a 331 cu with A/C, the center piece broke.

Can I just do a quick fix like build up of solder to the heighth needed, or have to replace?

You can see from picture I tried to fix by putting on solder to hold it at the right hight and then trying to JB weld the thin metal piece back on, but it didn't hold.

So do I need that metal piece there or will solder put on to simulate the metal piece work ok?

I believe the thin metal piece is there to give tension on the choke shaft, but not positive.

This part has been impossible to find so far.

Thanks for all and any input or help,

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

R Schroeder

I don't think that you will be able to solder it. I think that is spring steel. You may have to do a google search for the part.
Roy

55 cadi

Thanks for reply Roy,

I have done a search and come up empty or not the exact same part yet, guess I will keep checking.

I was hoping I could put some solder to the hight of that piece would be to act like the piece.
2005 Cadillac deville

kkarrer

My suggestion is to call Daytona Parts or Chicago Carbs.  If that doesn't work, send it to me and I'll see if I can tack weld it.
Ken Karrer
CenTex Regional Director
1955 Cadillac restorer
1955 convertible coupe
512-626-7268
3607 Quiette Drive
Austin, Texas 78754

55 cadi

Ken,

I called both and they are checking to see if they have the part.

Thank you for your input and will keep your info handy if needed.

Jason

2005 Cadillac deville

curly

Try the Carburetor shop.  He advertises parts for Carter carbs.  I lost the accelerator pump rod when rebuilding the carb on my 1950 Cad. (I dropped it, it never hit the floor.  Still waiting for it to land.  :D ) I have and old carter book from the 50's, so I looked up the part number and gave it the Carb shop over the phone.  He knew in about 30 seconds whether he had it. (he did!) Extremely reasonable on price.

Anyway,  I checked my Carter book, it shows your part as  Carter # 186-38s.  That is for a 1955 Carb # 2354s or 2355s. His web page says he has choke parts.
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/PartsCarter.htm

T Lewis

55 cadi

Thank you curly,

I will try them as well.

Funny thing about your dropped part....I have had a couple like that and still have not found.

And thanks for the part number, I have it on a spec sheet but it is not readable.

I called them and they now require you to purchase a rebuild kit, which is $75 with the items you want, they won't just sell the part you want, the part I needed was $89 so I am surprised they require me to purchase the kit.  Odd.

Jason
2005 Cadillac deville

Andrew Trout

Maybe http://quadrajetparts.com?

I stripped the threads on the fuel inlet for my '61 convertible's Carter AFB and found a replacement part for it on that website. They've got some parts for chokes, but it seems to be for converting to electric choke. Not sure if there's a part in there you can use/repurpose.

Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

55 cadi

Thanks Andrew for another lead,

Unfortunately they don't list my part on website and there is no number to contact them to see if they have it.

Jason
2005 Cadillac deville

55 cadi

Thank you to everyone for the input of places to try, 

and thanks Ken for the offer to try and fix!

I found one at "Allcads"  great place and great seller and owner of Cadillacs, Ed Cholakian, he is pretty well known in the Cadillac community. I was very impressed with his inventory when I visited his place a couple months ago in Las Vegas.

Thanks again the the great CLC community.

Jason
2005 Cadillac deville