News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fire extinguisher locations in your car

Started by fishchipper, April 13, 2015, 05:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishchipper

So, the engine re-build on my 58 coupe Deville is almost done, and we should be cruising around soon.  This is my first classic car, and  I've read all the horror stories about fires driving around, etc.  I am determined to make sure I'm not one of those on the wrong end of that story.  For those of you that carry extinguishers in your cars:

1)what brand are you using?

2) where/how are you carrying it in the car?  If you have any photos of where/how you carry, I'd love to see photos.

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Chip:  Pictured below is small fire extinguisher which contains Halon Gas which if used will not damage the paint or leave you with a mess to clean up. It is just the right size,about 10 inches long and 3 inches wide. Weighs about 3 lbs and can be mounted on a wall in your garage or carried in your car. I carry it on the floor behind the drivers seat so I can get to it quick if needed. In the 60 years I have been playing with cars I have used an extinguisher twice. Once on my own car to put out a fire in the carb started by a backfire and the other time to put out a fire in a 47-75 series Cadillac caused by a defective axle bearing. This particular extinguisher below is by H & R Performance and I bought it on Amazon.   Bill

Jon S

Bill

What is the Model Number of your H3B extinguisher?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Bill Ingler #7799

The label says Model HG 100 lower left in picture below.    Bill

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you are going to put a Fire Extinguisher anywhere within the passenger compartment, on any car, it needs to be screwed down to a hard surface.   The same goes for the trunk, but not as critical.

Nothing worse than a hard, heavy object flying around in a crash, and once the car comes to rest, it might take longer to find it as it wasn't where you remember it.

Just as dangerous as putting loose speakers on a parcel shelf, or an unsecured dog on the back seat.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishchipper

I was looking to get one of the halon gas models.  I would love to see where people have them secured in their cars.  The trunk is not a great place because if/when you need it, it might take a long time to fumble around back there.  However, the flip side is that I am concerned about where to attach it and screwing up "the look" of the car. 

Bill Young

Gene Beaird

Do some searching here. One owner mounted it to a rubber floor mat so it sat under the driver's knees. Easily removable, and convenient, too.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

I suggest you go with at least 2.5 lbs of spray instead of the  1.4  of the unit recommended. The 2.5pounds  of halatron will give you about  2 X the spray to put on the fire. It's a bigger tank & not easily stored in the car, and both will only spray for 9 seconds until empty plus both only cover about 2 sq feet. There's Nothing  like an engine fire & running out of spray. The suggestion to mount it on a stiff piece of floor mat & store it behind the drivers feet is a good one.
Bob

Michel 14

Excellent question I vai fix on a plate
rubber under the knees in the center of the front seat

TJ Hopland

In my 73 its in that little garbage can thing on the passenger side.    I have the red interior so it really does not stand out.

I too have been lucky and never had to use one on my car but have given and or used them on others cars.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gary griffin

I would consider mounting in the engine compartment with a lanyard to activate it. Halon systems are installed in machinery rooms and computer rooms when water would do unacceptable damage.  It basically forces the air which contains about 20% oxygen from the space which kills the fire. If the hood is open it may be less effective. After the fire is out the heat is still there and the fire may reignite if measures are not taken but there is no clean up or moisture damage.

Advantage is that after the fire is out repair whatever caused the fire and proceed on your way. In computer rooms with Halon systems there is a rapid infusion of Halon killing the fire then fans come on and remove the halos so human inhabitants are not also killed by the absence of oxygen.

In the early days of computer I installed many small halon systems but newer computers use less energy and they may not being installed in computer rooms now.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

David Greenburg

Don't store it in the glove compartment.  If someone tells you there are flames under your car, you will not take the time to dig it out.  Ask me how I know this important fact.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Lucas Feininger #15674

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

Smedly

Make sure you mount it where you can reach it. Mine will be on the front of the front seat by the drivers feet. Not at home in the closet. I learned the hard way :-[
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay