News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Gas Tank Sending Unit Wire

Started by Scott Halver, April 13, 2015, 09:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Halver

Hello,
I'm re-installing my gas tank and the sending wire is in really poor condition.   Anything special about the sending unit wire  ?   The factory wire looks to have a protective sheath around the wire and a boot to cover the connection (boot all cracked).     The ground wire is in better condition and okay.    Any thoughts, don't want to have to drop the tank again in a couple of years because of the wire...........   or have it do something bad.     SHalver 24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

76eldo

You can replace the wire by making a splice using similar gauge wire.  In fact, I am in the middle of getting a tank repaired and was thinking of adding a factor looking connector that I can put in so that you could connect up the wires, and land the ground wire where it goes and be able to install the tank with the hot wire already installed and have a connector I can conceal above the tank. 

This would come in handy for testing in the future and not have to drop the tank again.

You may be able to get a similar wiring boot at a NAPA store, or just put a big blob of silicone over it and/or duct tape just to keep it from hitting the trunk floor.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)