News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 mystery drivetrain vibration

Started by kkarrer, April 13, 2015, 10:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

I wonder if anyone out there has encountered a vibration in the drivetrain of a a 55/331.  I had the engine rebuilt and the trans was recently rebuilt.  We can feel a quick vibration on the 2/3 shift and in 4th it get's bad enough to feel it in the seat starting at about 55mph.  It's not the drive shaft (it was balanced), u joints, or rear wheels or axles as we're in neutral and holding the brake as we rev it up on the lift.  I've tried shifting washers around on the torus/flywheel and that was a little better but not much.  This feels like it's coming from the bell housing area and not up front at the harmonic balancer which looks ok.  The owner says it was not doing this before the restoration.  I had the engine and trans out of the car for the engine rebuild and put them together on the shop floor prior to installation and saw no problems and this is far from my first rodeo with a 55.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
1955 Cadillacs
512-626-7268
kkarrer@austin.rr.com

Dan LeBlanc

Potential starting point . . .
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

dplotkin

Good job Dan, that is a helpful piece that applies to all old cars.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

James Landi

Dan,

Your extraordinary download of the service manual is invaluable.  After reading it with some care, I am so impressed by the thoroughness and concern for details in the piece.  (The quiz at the end takes tech accountability to a high level.)  I wonder to what extent modern "advanced engineering" has  taken care of some of "gray areas" that required attention 50 years ago. Do you think "CV" joints would attend to some of these "prop shaft" alignment issues" that occurred with universal joints?

Dan LeBlanc

I downloaded it from the 61/62 Cadillac site when I was trying to diagnose the driveline vibration in the 61.  It turned out the rubber in the rear transmission mount has settled causing propshaft misalignment.  I have a NOS mount to install but haven't found the time to do so.  In the interim, I shimmed it up and vibration is gone.  It is quite an informative piece.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

Dan -

Yes, very good information!  Thanks for sharing!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dave Shepherd

Also the trans mount can become rock hard which can cause it to no longer isolate drive train harmonics from the chassis.

kkarrer

Guys,
      Thanks for looking into this one, but I've eliminated all of the usual suspects...u joint, drive shaft, trans and engine mounts, alignment, harmonic balancer, pulleys and belts which pretty much leaves torus and flywheel.  The flywheel can only attach one way to the crank and there are two different pins on the flywheel to align it with the torus.  I'm wondering if those pins were initially 180 degrees out when the flywheel was first mated and if torque was applied and then the mistake was realized, if the flywheel  or torus could have been warped ?  They were fine before the engine was rebuilt.
Ken Karrer
1955 Cadillacs