News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Teardrop Spotlights

Started by Chas, April 15, 2015, 07:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chas

Would someone be so kind as to tell me if "A" pillar mounted teardrop spotlights were factory or authorized dealer installed options on any Cadillacs of the 1950's ? I'm speaking of either a single or dual mount installation.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Quentin Hall

If you mean like the Barris Custom look?  If so the answer is No.
   By the early 50s the guide spotlight mirror accessory was a door mounted kit coming out in a position where the mirror was prior.  This was probably because of the ss that was now used to trim the exterior of the windshield. . . And because it had the mirror attached to the back.
    My 53 Eldo has two mounted either side.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Philippe M. Ruel

Mine has originally an Appleton 550 on driver's side, with the mirror at the back. This car was sold new in France by General Motors. Not a CKD (crate) model. I don't know if the spotlight was factory or dealer installed, nor if any dealer installed "teardrop" Appleton 112s of the same period.
1952 60 Special in France.

Quentin Hall

Appletons are the spotlight of choice amongst customisers. But were an aftermarket accessory. Can you post a pic Philippe?
I'm still looking for a RH Guide Mount for my Eldo. Was missing when I got car. Made one but would love to find an original. Think it was also used on all other 50 thru 53 GM. In ten years of looking it has eluded me. Very few vehicles sported two door mounted spotlights, though I have seen a couple of other Eldos thus equipped.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz