News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How to lube Heater/Defrost/Vent Cables? 1961 Cadillac

Started by Coupe Deville, April 15, 2015, 04:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. While I have the heater core out on my 1961 Sedan Deville I am planning on lubeing all of the heat/vent cables in the car. The ventalation cables are so stiff they barely slide with a lot of force. There so dried out that someone actually broke one of the ventalation levers off. What is the best procedure for lubeing these cables? I was goin to try WD-40 but I think the straw is way to large to fit in the cable housing. Anyone done this before?

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Dan LeBlanc

Bowden cable lubers do exist. If you want to do it cheaply though, take a Ziploc bag and push the cable into it. Tie the bag where the cable penetrates through with an elastic to seal the bag to the cable. Pour some oil into the bag. Hang up the whole works bag side up and let it soak. Gravity will allow the oil to penetrate down through the cable end and between the cable and housing.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

m-mman

99% of HVAC cables consist of a single steel cable inside of a sheath consisting of wire wrapped  around the inner cable.
The best way to make them functional is to remove it completely (easy if the dash area has been disassembled) then take it to the bench and sand or steel wool the exposed ends that go into the sheath. (this is where the most rust & crud generally is)

Then spray WD40 (or I have used ATF. It might have longer staying power) along the sheath. Since the sheath is just wrapped wire, the lube easily seeps inside. Bending the cable slightly separates the wires on the sheath and allows the lube to seep inside also.

Then pull the cable back and forth to break up the crud and spread the lube. Within 5-7 pulls you will find that it slides MUCH easier. After installation you will be surprised how easily the control levers work.

IF you cant get to a cable or it is just too difficult to remove then do your best to clean the ends and spray WD-40 along its length and work it back and forth. You may not be able to spray the entire length without our removing it but anything can help.

Also while you have the cable out or otherwise accessible, Check the door or valve that it operates to make sure that it too moves easily.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

gary griffin

Motorcycle shops have inexpensive cable lubricators. No need to remove the whole cable. Disconnect one end, clamp the attachment on and oil it up.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver