News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac, Can I Bypass The Neutral Safety Switch?

Started by Coupe Deville, April 15, 2015, 11:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. The neutral safety switch on my 61' has a vacuum leak, so I need to take it out and rebuild it. My question is can/how should I bypass the wiring to still get the car to start? This car is my daily driver and I don't have another car at the moment so I can't afford the down time. Im assuming just make a little jumper lead and hook up two wires somewhere?
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Julien Abrahams

If the safety neutral switch is the same as mine ('67), then you can just disconnect the wires, and reconnect them using a jumper. Just make sure that you reconnect the proper ones: there is one pair that actuates the starter circuit (so you can actually start the car) and there is one pair that activates the back up lights when you put the selector in Reverse.
There are just 2 issues: make sure that you're in Park or Neutral whenever you start the car (as the 'saftey' feature is now canaceled and the car will start in Drive or Reverse). Also, you will loose your back up lights.
Short answer: yes you can use a jumper to go around the SNS.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

MY 59

bypassing is easy as Julien says, but also as he says be aware that car will start in all gear selector position which can be dangerous
I have a friend with a working vacume type NSN from a '60 he is selling?
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Dan LeBlanc

I would just disconnect and plug the source vacuum line until you have the chance to do the repair and wait until you have the time to remove, repair, and replace the switch all at the same time. That way, you will only lose the automatic parking brake release function but still retain the backup lights and safety functions.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

n2caddies

Dan is right. I would not bypass the NSS. I just used a sheet metal screw and twist it into the vacuum line from the firewall to plug it. NSS from 60-62 should all work. 57-59 will fit but don't have the vacuum port. Sometimes you can remove it and carefully bend the tabs holding the vacuum ports to tighten up the air seal to get it to stop leaking. I think Russ who is on this forum can fix the vacuum side if you don't have any luck.  I have some used ones if you run into trouble.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

russ austin

Galvin, I do repair the NSS's for the 60-64 Cadillac's.   The larger 2 wires are for the starting circuit. Just make a wire to connect the 2 together, or wait till you get yours back.

if you could send me an email to;  russ85747@hotmail.com  to get the process started.
R.Austin

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone!

Thank you for all of the responses. Russ, Thanks for your offer but I am flat out broke so anything I can do on this car myself to save money will be done by me. I know mine leaks vacuum. So what is inside there? How can i get it to stop leaking? Whats the repair procedure? I think I'm just going to tear it apart soon and I would like to know how to seal it back up again.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have stripped these down, and one must be very careful when straightening the diecast holding lugs.

Break these, and you will end up wiring the switch back together.

Plus, be very careful when pulling it to pieces so you can make notes if necessary on where the internal parts go.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Julien Abrahams

There is also the possibility that it just needs to be realigned in the sense that the Park position of your gear selecter 'corresponds' to Park in the NSS. If it is misalligned, it can lead to a vacuum leak (as the ports are not fully closed). You can check this by: first check whether the backup lights come on when you put the transmission in Reverse (not necessary to start the car, just turn on the ignition). Second, the start should operate when the car is eitehr in Park or neutral. If you have to wiggle the gear selector about about a bit  before the starter will operate (as soon as you turn the key) then this can indicate that the NSS needs to be realigned. Undo the screws that hold it to the steering column, and move it slightly left or right so that the starter operates when the trans is in Neutral.
Then start the car, and look if there is still a vacuum leak.
If there's still a leak I would also do like Dan suggested: plug the vacuum hoses. You will loose the automatic e-brake release funtion, but the backup lights and ignition safety feature will still work.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett