News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Clock 1956

Started by rocket52, April 21, 2015, 10:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocket52

I have to repair my clock.
Can anybody tell me how I can seperate it ?
I guess that I have to get of the knob of the adjustment shaft ?
But what is the safest way to do that ?

Kind regards,

Everhard

J. Gomez

Everhard,

You will need to unscrew the knob (for the hour/minute adjustment) from the shaft. It may be tight so you will need to hold the shaft securely to unscrew the knob.

Once you removed the hour/minute/second hands under the face cover plate there is a small spring and a brass washer do not lose them.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Dan LeBlanc

I think you have it disassembled far enough.  In a lot of cases, spraying the movement with Deoxit D5 and lubricating all pivot points with a synthetic clock oil should bring it back.  As you can see, the movement is well exposed now.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jon S

You will want to disassemble it all the way to ensure the points are clean or need a light filing since these are the core of the winding mechanism.  I use a small pair of surgical grips to hold the stem and then unscrew the knob.  The backs (2 manufacturers) normally pry apart with the help of a small screw driver.

Do  not use anything like WD-40.  Use sewing machine oil on the pivots, lightly file the points and then close it up and your good for 20+ years!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

TonyZappone #2624

find a hole.  squirt WD-40 in hole.  let dry.  been doing this for fifty years.  chances are it will run.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Jon S

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on April 22, 2015, 06:19:11 AM
find a hole.  squirt WD-40 in hole.  let dry.  been doing this for fifty years.  chances are it will run.

Type in clocks and WD-40 on Google - A definite no no!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

jaxops

You can actually get "clock oil" which doesn't run like sewing machine oil so it stays on or in where you apply it.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

rocket52

Thnx everbody !
I got the clock seperated with youre tips.
A friend of mine repairs amplifiers and has Dioxit 5. I sprayed a little bit in the clock.
An other friend of mine repairs old clocks an has clock oil.
And yes !! It works...

The clock has come back to live !!