News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 Cadillac Disc Brake Conversion from Performance Online

Started by mrleibel, April 22, 2015, 10:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrleibel

This spring I need to do a complete brake job on my `68 Cadillac De Ville Convertible.  It presently has drum brakes on all four corners.  I stumbled on a front disc brake conversion through Performance Online out of California for what I consider a reasonable price when compared to buying the new drum brake parts.  I'm consider the disc brake upgrade for improved drive-ability and make the wife feel more comfortable driving the car.

Has anyone bought this disc brake conversion or any other conversion kits with good success?  It appears that with the 12" discs that the stock Cadillac Rim would fit with no problem.

Any insights would be appreciated!
1968 Coupe DeVille Convertible

ccd3

My kit came from Classic Performance Products of California by way of OPGI. Truth be told, I expected more. It was not as direct-fit as the marketing would have you believe. Brake performance is okay- but not really that much better than the drums.

I summary- I'm not totally disappointed- My drum brake system was shot and this was the most direct fit. Also- I hate replacing shoes. If your kit is sourced by CPP, be prepared to get a little creative with the installation.

Good Luck,
Carey

TJ Hopland

If all 68's had the same wheels as other 68's that came with disc then the 12" rotors should work.    If you got the 'drum' wheels I doubt they would clear.      12" ish rotors is what the 70's full size cars and through the 90's 1/2 ton trucks used that all had 15" wheels and there was not much clearance.    Drum era wheels for some reason seemed to have an extra step in them that gets in the way of the calipers.  It was like when they went from 14" to 15" wheels the wanted to use the same inner spider hub so they just put an extra step in the outer part to save money on making a whole new wheel.

If its from CCP make sure you don't give them your email.   They send out way too many ads and there appears to be no way to get off the list.   I have even called and told them to take me off their list and I still seem to be on it.   Their stuff seems to be what we now call 'imported' so don't expect too much. 

Have you looked at Scarebird?   I have used their stuff on other cars and was happy with the results.   They sell you the brackets and any totally custom stuff needed like spacers then give you a list of parts to get from an auto parts store.   The list would say something like get 75 Eldo calipers, 83 Caprice hoses, and 92 C1500 rotors.    What I really like about that is when you need rotors or pads down the road you can just go to any parts store and order em, you don't have to go back to the people that made the kit and likely have to wait and pay a premium. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

mrleibel

Thanks guys for your feedback.  After reviewing Scarebird's setup, I really like that option the best especially from a replacement part standpoint.  But now I need to figure out if the `71-`76 fullsize Cadillac rims would accept the `68 Cadillac Hubcaps.  The `68 Cadillac Rim appears to have a special lip that the hubcap fits to.  Any experiences with fitment of the hubcaps?
1968 Coupe DeVille Convertible

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Befor i got my 70, someone had replaced the 2 rear wheels. I did not know this and when they were rotated... Well they wouldn't. I have been told rhey are Cadllac wheels but have not been able to confirm. It has aftermarket hubcaps because the correct ones won't fit. I just need to fjnd a good set of wheels.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille