News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Eldo Brougham Air suspension

Started by 23504, April 22, 2015, 02:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a 1958 Eldorado Brougham (#442). Over the winter the car slowly got lower to the ground. I have had it up on a lift and put a compressor on the manual air valve and it wont raise up. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem. I believe there is no air in the suspension system at all and it isnt holding air. Thanks, Jim

Roger Zimmermann

I suppose you open one door to attempt to get air in the springs. If the car is on a lift and all 4 wheels are down, you will not get air at all.
Is the control solenoid getting current when you open one door?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

76eldo

I am not familiar with the broughams but I am familiar with the 59/60 Eldos and as Roger says, if the wheels are hanging down with the car on a lift, the sensor/valves see the body as being all the way up in travel.

Drop it down so that there is some weight on the suspension and try to add air to the tank. It is surprising how much air you need to add for the sysyem to lift the car. The tank has to pressurize and they the air travels slowly through the valves to the bags.

Good luck.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

59-in-pieces

Jim,
Try calling this guy.
He is out here in Calif. and knows your car and the air ride system.

Michael P. Rizzuto/President                             
32155 Joshua Drive
Wildomar, California 92595 USA
(951) 674-0509
Mprizzuto@aol.com

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

I have isolated the problem on my 58 Brougham and there is a leak in the front air suspension. I need to find a replacement dome, diaphragm retainer, diaphragm, retainer plate and piston.  Can anyone tell me some places I might get these parts?  Thanks, Jim