News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Lubing window tracks question. What to use?

Started by chrisntam, April 23, 2015, 10:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

What do you all use to lube window tracks?  Spray lithium grease?  I have the door panels off, had a look inside and all the tracks were dry.  Windows all go up/down ok, just figured I'd lube 'em up while I'm there.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bobby B

That's what I've always used with no issues. You don't have to go crazy with it. Try and clean some of the "old" grease out of there if you can before applying. Just a few light coats should do it. Try not to get it all over the windows and everywhere else. Some people swear by silicone based products, but I don't keep one silicone type product in, or near my shop. Airborne contamination has wreaked havoc on paint work. Lesson learned…..
                                                                                           Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Roadmaster75

Yes, be careful when spraying the silicone around any metal requiring refinishing.,…. Having said that,
I've found it to be very effective in getting balky , tight windows to actually move freely again.

Doesn't take much …just a quick shot up and down the track with the little red squirter….
Since your panels are off and you have access …go for it…..!

my 2 cents

gary griffin

I use a silicon spray can. The windows were not working on my 1957 when I received it but having my sun push on them and spray the silicon down the tracks while  I operated the switch ( Right now only the drivers switch is working) got them all working. I would be concerned about the lithium holding dirt.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

76eldo

If you have the door panels off I would use some white lithium grease and a brush.

That way you just get it where you need it not all over everything.

If you put it on the tracks and the gear of the regulator it will help a lot. Getting some of the old junk out helps too.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jon S

Quote from: 76eldo on April 24, 2015, 12:28:53 PM
If you have the door panels off I would use some white lithium grease and a brush.

That way you just get it where you need it not all over everything.

If you put it on the tracks and the gear of the regulator it will help a lot. Getting some of the old junk out helps too.

Brian

I've never had to lubricate mine, but I second your approach.  Put it where you need it with a brush, wipe off any excess.  Sprays tend to go everywhere.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Philippe M. Ruel

Is there any recommendation for lubricating window tracks ?

The parts that need lubrication are the regulators' and scissors' pivots, the sash channels (the horizontal steel sections beneath the window glass) and the rollers that roll inside these.
1952 60 Special in France.

76eldo

Yes, as mentioned above.  White lithium grease applied with a small brush.

They sell the grease by Lubriplate in a small plastic tub.  Ask for an acid brush.  The can of grease comes with a plastic top over the peel off metal lid.  Cut a small hole in the plastic cover and keep the brush in it, sticking out of the grease, ready to use at any time.  Door hinges, rubber hood bumpers, hood hinges, door lock mechanism inside the door, window tracks, what ever needs a little grease.

Probably good for constipation too. :o

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv