News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Not enough travel in power steering box to install pitman arm centered

Started by Andrew Trout, April 26, 2015, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Trout

My Dad and I pulled the power steering box from our '61 convertible to get it rebuilt. When we found out how much it would cost, we asked for it back.

Painted the power steering box black, and put a new rag joint on. Got it installed on the steering column, but we went to put the pitman arm on there's not enough travel to get the pitman arm installed in a centered position. It would either be all the way to the left or all the way to the right.

We put a set of vice grips on the steering column (wheel is off for interior restoration work) and there's only a half-turn's worth of travel. Not enough to get the pitman arm installed in a centered position. 

Any thoughts on what's going on? Do we need to pull the steering box off the steering column and change something? Do we need to put fluid in the power steering box? Does it need power to have more travel?

Thanks!
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Bobby B

Andrew,
I don't understand what the problem is, but will try to help out. When you sent the box out, did they take it apart? Why did you want it rebuilt in the first place? Was something wrong or leaking? Regardless of weather the pitman arm is on or off the box, do you have the full amount of rotation lock-to-lock? From what you're describing it could only be that the sector shaft and the worm drive were not re-assembled and centered (which would limit your travel), or the balls in the worm are stuck (or broken/binding), not allowing the box it's full travel. I have seen both situations before. Please check the specs on that specific box as far as lock-to-lock goes, before we can try and help you out. It's pretty simple, everything just has to be centered and moving freely. I'm also assuming that the pitman is keyed to the shaft and you have that set up correctly too.
                        Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

bill06447

Someone else here had the exact same problem a few months back. it ended up that the steering box was rebuilt incorrectly. An exchange solved their problem.

Bill

Andrew Trout

The box was not rebuilt. We pulled it off the car and sent it off to be rebuilt, but it would have cost ~$900 so we said 'forget it! send it back!' We did buy a new rag joint and install that on the power steering box.

We also pulled the pitman arm and had that powder coated.

The power steering box is back on the car and attached to the steering column. When attached, there is very little travel. 'lock-to-lock' is only 1/2 a turn of the steering wheel right now.

the pitman is keyed. There are splines and then four larger spots. Right now when we attempt to line up the keys, the pitman arm will either be pointing to the left or the right. There was a lot of travel in the power steering box before we put it on the car, but now it has vey limited travel. Is is possible that there's something binding in the steering column that is limiting the travel we have available?

Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Bobby B

Andrew,
  Answer your own question by disconnecting the rag joint and try turning the box by hand without the linkage hooked up. Then, let us know……If you actually sent it out, they might have opened it up and just slapped it back together, not centering it. Do the above and we'll start the process of elimination and have it solved. It's either one or the other.
                                                                                Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Classic

I've never had a power steering gear rebuilt, but $900 to rebuild one sounds excessive.  They aren't that complicated.  Did the rebuilder tell you why it was so expensive (and who was the rebuilder)?  Thank you.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

savemy67

Hello Andrew,

Can you be sure the rebuilder returned to you the box you sent to them?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Joshua

Hi Andrew  :)

I had the same problem on my '59.  It ended up being that the steering column shaft was binding inside of the steering column.  What I did was to put the gear box back on and bolt it down.  Once everything was lined up it all went back together just fine.  Maybe there was some other issue that I overlooked but what I did seemed to work.

Hope this helps,
Joshua Cross
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window
1964 Volkswagen Type I