News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 fleetwood 60 special brake pedal return spring?

Started by bullit, April 26, 2015, 09:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullit

Is there supposed to be one and if so where is it?  My pedal isn't returning fully and it may be causing drivers side brake drag?

Caddy Wizard

I believe that in 55 the only return spring is a big spring in the master.  Earlier years had a return spring connected from the pedal arm to the frame.  But I think that was eliminated by 55...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

kkarrer

I've restored 4 1955 Cadillacs over the past couple of years and they all had brake pedal return springs that attached on an ear on the brake pedal shaft and at a mounting point back near the master cylinder.  I've seen some replacement types on the internet and I've seen some at Lowes and Home Depot and parts houses.  You could also get an original one from Honest John's Caddy Corner or Ed Chalokian (all cads).  If necessary you can double up on some of the replacement springs (one inside the other) until you get the tension that you want.  Take a measurement between the holes where the spring mounts and subtract about an inch.  You should know that your booster will not work properly unless your brake pedal returns all the way up.  I've also seen over the years where carpet and floor mats have been replaced over existing carpet and mats and the build up around the brake pedal shaft causes return problems for the brake pedal.  You'll want to get a "return" or extension spring that should be about 4 1/4" at rest if memory serves.  I'm not out in my shop at the moment.  If you find something that's a bit too long, you can always get some needle nose pliers and some cutters and rebend one end or the other to get the necessary distance.  The spring wire diameter is about 1/16." 
Ken Karrer CenTex Regional Director
1941 6227 D
1955 62 convertible

Caddy Wizard

I don't think my late-55 FW has the spring.  Not only does it not have the spring, the ear in the brake pedal arm doesn't have the hole in it where the spring would normally attach, as had  been done in prior years.  Maybe I am not remembering this correctly, but I did replace the master cylinder a month ago and was looking at this carefully.  I was surprised to see no spring and no mounting hole for a spring in the arm.  I don't dispute Ken's statement in the immediately preceding post, of course, as it is possible that my car is somehow missing the spring or that the spring was eliminated during the model year.  Or I could be not remembering correctly.

I'll try to double-check this on my car this week and post a picture, if I can.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Roger Zimmermann

The Master Parts Book is always interesting to consult when such a question arise: group 4.4222, Spring, brake pedal retracting:
1939 thru 1954, 55-60S, 62 before eng. 99497; 55-75,CC: # 405956
55-60S, 62 after eng. 99496 # 1459226 (used also as throttle retrating spring on 52 to 55 cars with single carb)
During the 60 years of existance, many things may happen to a car, especially a small spring!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Munich

The shop manual says 1955 with power brakes had no return spring..because of softer master cylinder boot and pedal shaft seal at the toe-board

Caddy Wizard

I crawled under the the 55 FW and took some pictures.  Yes, I remembered correctly -- the brake pedal arm has the ear, but the ear is not pierced for a return spring on this 55 FW.  See the attached picture.
Art Gardner

bullit

Yup, mine doesnt have the nub for a spring.  I rigged one up though just to make sure. Thanks for the help! !!

Roger Zimmermann

Interesting...The MPB I have was published in 1958; at that time they should have known that '55 cars had no brake pedal return spring...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101