News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Windshield wiper control cable question 1957 SDV

Started by Dave Burke, April 26, 2015, 10:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Burke

Hi Y'all,

The fool in me wants to see if I can make my windshield wipers work on my 1957 SDV.  Let me clarify that: work PROPERLY.  The vacuum motor is solid, as are the wiper arms and cables.  The question has to do with the control cable that runs from the dash to the motor.  It is a sheathed control cable and it has a small disk at the end, I assume to engage the mechanism of the motor.  My questions are these: should that disk be free-moving, as mine is, or should it be welded to the end of the cable?  And is there any other hardware that should be involved there to connect the cable and motor, like a retainer clip or something aside from the screw-on "P" clamp that holds the cable sheath in place? 

Thanks!

Dave Burke
CLC# 27968
1957 Sedan Deville
1963 Series 62 - Project LUX
1983 Maserati Quattroporte

"Who loves ya, Baby?" - Kojak

Roger Zimmermann

That small disk is not welded on the wire, it's free. The "P" clampkeep the unit stalble in relation to the wiper motor. To operate the pipers, the wire is pushing the sliding vlave; to stop them, the disk is pulling the "V" lever.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dave Burke

Does anyone have a good picture or drawing of this?  I still feel like there must be a piece of missing hardware.  Of course, RainX has worked so far.

Best,

Dave Burke
1957 Sedan Deville

Roger Zimmermann

I'm going this week to my store room/garage; I can do some pictures if I don't forget to take the camera...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

For other reasons, I had to go to my store room. One picture is from a '56 NOS wiper motor; the other picture is from my '57 Brougham. Probably your wiper will be similar to my '57. By the way, this is not easy to take a good picture when the motor is installed...As you can see, while once removing the wiper motor, I lost the attachment part for the cable. I had to improvise...
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dave Burke

Hi Roger,

Thanks!  I may have installed the cable wrong, also I might modify it.  Those pictures really help!

Best,

Dave Burke
1957 Sedan Deville