News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

78 Eldorado Front Shocks

Started by Jakes, April 28, 2015, 05:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakes

Follow-up to below.... Rock Auto lists ACDelco 5608 as a more durable alternative to the 520-268, but it's not listed in the ACDelco online catalog (the 520-268 is).  I goofed about the KYB 343130; it's a rear shock.  The front one is KG4501.

My front shocks are starting to leak.  They look original.  Replacements are readily available, but any recommendations as to brand: ACDelco, Monroe, Gabriel, NAPA, KYB, or are they pretty much all the same?  Got to be careful because some numbers are considered "economy" and others are considered "orig. equip." equivalent.  For example, Rock Auto shows the ACDelco 520-268 and Monroe 33101 as "economy",  but they list the ACDelco 5608, Gabriel 82010, and KYB 343130 as "OE" equivalent (they didn't list a Monroe alternative).  As always, your sage advice is most appreciated.  Many thanks.
Paul
'78 Eldo. Custom Biarritz Classic

Dave Shepherd

Kyb one of my favorites, never happy with Monroe's.

Scot Minesinger

Yes, just replaced shocks on a 72 Eldorado with KYB from Rock-auto as recommended here and they are wonderful.  The front shocks were original and the words "Made in USA" were on them - you don't see that very often anymore.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

I changed my 79 Eldo front shocks to KYB, and they were a huge improvement over the
originals.  My KG4531 might be a different size than a 72, what are yours?  Bruce Roe