News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 60 Special power seats and windows problems

Started by gary griffin, April 30, 2015, 07:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

First, the front seat will travel forwards and back under power but it will not raise or tilt. Is this a switch problem or what? Also how do I remove the seat to access the electrical components?

Secondly the power windows can be operated from the drivers master control but they are dead at the door switch.  Am I missing a locking feature or what? Is there a master fuse? It seems improbable that they would all fail?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Julien Abrahams

I'm not sure, so therefore I ask: does the '57 also have a lockout option on the driver's side panel? In my '67 you can 'lock' the windows so they cannot be operated by the controls on each door (only on the driver's side door).
And with regard to the seat: do you hear the motor runnig when you operate the switches?
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

dplotkin

Gary:
Electric window failure, when the window will operate from the driver's controls is almost always a bad switch at the door. These can be removed, dismantled & cleaned. When the contacts oxidize they fail to conduct and burnishing will be necessary. This does not always do the job in which case switch replacement will be necessary.

As to power seats, more than likely the trouble is in the switch, which must activate both the motor (there is only 1) and the correct solenoid for the desired function. Either the switch is not completing the circuit to the solenoid or the solenoid is defective, but my bet is on the switch.

Consult your shop manual on seat removal, as I own a 56.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

59-in-pieces

Gary,
Let me offer up another thought(s) pics.
Pull a window switch out and check for continuity within the plug harness.
I have run power from the battery to the harness plug and used a ground - if it doesn't work - likely a break in the wires.
Try all window plugs and get the same - no go - broken wires, happened to me many times.
If windows work - move on to the switch - they don't go bad as often as broken wires.
You can do the same test with the seat switch harness plug.
Power from the battery - jump the plug holes - works or not - much more complicated because one motor, several solenoids - see pics.
Then depending on your results you can check the pins of the switches as you toggle them - up & down.
Then in the realm of nothing comes easy - the window motors could be kaput - ??????? - all of them, unlikely
As to a break in the wires - lack of continuity - check behind the kick panel and where the wires go to the back for the windows you may find the breaks there - notorious area, happened to me many times.
It is a real help to have a complete car wiring diagram.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

gary griffin

Thanks everyone,

I am planning on removing the seat for upholstery repair. All of the upholstery in the car has had clear plastic seat covers since the car was new but the upper corners have a little sun rot. Hopefully I can find the correct materials. The motor moves the seat rearward and forward but does not tilt or raise and lower the seat.

I am planning on taking each door panel off and adding "Rattle Trap" sound deadening as I am doing that on my 1942 restoration and it makes a huge difference.  I will try the suggestions made here when I have the door panels off. Probably one at a time and a day each door I figure to clean everything up and paint for rust preservation, and install rubber components basically  restoring a door at a time.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Barry M Wheeler #2189

First get a can of electrical contact spray cleaner. Spray in the top of the driver's switch. LOTS easier (but not as permanent as taking things apart.) Why didn't you ask this while I was in town this PM shopping? It was the only thing I forgot!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

55 cadi

Hello Gary,

On my 55 my seat would go back and forth but not up and down and my passenger window did not work either.

The seat was fixed when I went through the wiring under the seat, checking the connections, that was great for it was an easy no cost fix.

My window I still have not got it working even doing a rewire, because a couple wires were broken.

So first check to see if any broken wires or corrosion and clean the connectors and then try.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville