News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac

Started by yumanian, May 01, 2015, 01:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yumanian

Hello all,

Found a 47 61 series

Primer still on and all interior ripped out.

90 percent of the parts are all there .  No holes in the floor board or trunk. I had it running for 15 minutes yesterday.

Took it out around the block sitting on a bucket to drive it.

Was around the block and she just shut off , no noises nothing.

When in tow , i had it in Neutral("p" ) and i could hear the motor turning but no spark

All for now, I have a 1.5 amp trickle charge on it for tonight.

Get back on it in the morning.

My buddy mentioned I might want to investigate inside the distributor for 12v points

I changed the lower and upper water hoses today.

Boy were they rough and a bit of corrosion (pipes) they went on

Thanks folks for comments and its my first time commenting on here

Joe

Smedly

Congratulations on your wonderful find. there is a large wealth of knowledge here that you can tap into along your journey. Please post some pictures, we all love to see lots of pictures. Let us see what you have, let us know what your intentions are and please keep us posted on your progress.   
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Steve Passmore

Quote from: yumanian on May 01, 2015, 01:21:18 AM
Hello all,

My buddy mentioned I might want to investigate inside the distributor for 12v points

y.

Joe
#

If its original it will be 6 volts. Did you drive it on a 12 volt battery? That will burn something out if you did.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gary griffin

It has been a long time since I have seen a 6 volt trickle charger and now fewer large chargers have a 6 volt component.  Has the car been converted to 12 volt. If not is the battery 12 volt.   If that is the case you have cooked something.  I would put in a 6 volt battery and then start checking things out.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Smedly

Other than the gauges and radio what would the 12 volts fry. I have ran mine with a 12 volt battery since I bought it with no issues, My gen already was no good so I put an alt. on it but it runs fine?
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

yumanian

Thanks everyone

I'll work on pics for sure. 

I do have a 6 volt battery,  brand new one.

I also have a brand new rebuilt carter carb, brand new 8 mm spark wires , new Dist cap , rotor.

Points are new and set at 15 , had them as wide as 25 but the match book trick didn't work.

My friend and I are thinking to pull the Distrib next but maybe not.

This is the fun though , right?

tonight we towed it home again same thing. Goes through the passing gears , turn the corner on our test route and poof , cuts out .

Similar , almost exactly like running out of gas .

Oh , yes a new electric fuel pump. Someone suggested a 8 volt

We bypassed the mechanical one , we like the glass bowl on it lol

anyway, thanks folks

Have fun

I know I am

Love the project , wished my lady did. Lol

Joe

Thanks again , I'll try a pic now, then show some pics from the first day I picked it up . All the trash inside and torn up upholstery

yumanian

Hello

Brand new wiring harness, but there are a couple wires that aren't or didn't come with the harness, that are questionable.

Not many wires , say 2 or three

I'm under the dash now . I have all the chrome off the dash ready to go to paint . I can really get a good look now.

I have my test light checking underneath, next I'll go check the   
voltage regulator

I check the juice to the coil last night was good and to the distributor

Then I'm going to recheck the point setting , it dies under driving conditions , never in park idlING

Stay tune

Confused

Points are at 015 , tried 025 book says 12 to 17 on the top of the Distrib  cam (clockwise)

Joe

Bill Gauch #23121

"Similar , almost exactly like running out of gas ."

I would bet that is your answer. You either are running out of gas because you have almost no gas and the sending unit is reporting the wrong level. You come around a corner and the car dies because the small amount of fuel sloshes to the side. Alternately, there is so much crud built up in the tank that there is less gas in there than you think. Option 3 is that the electric fuel pump is pumping too much or too little pressure and you either flood it or stall it when you turn a corner and load it on acceleration. Another possibility is that you mounted the fuel pump with a longer section of soft line between the tank and the pump. You press the gas creating a small surge which creates a vacuum on the soft line, collapsing it and starving it out. If the car won't restart after it stalls but it will restart a while later, the most likely of these scenarios is that you're flooding it out.

Bill
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/