News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Cadillac Eldorado carb needed, and all I have is a 1970 carb - OK?

Started by Scot Minesinger, May 05, 2015, 08:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Have a friend stuck in MO on a trip driving the maiden voyage back from AZ to Washington, DC with his newly purchased 1968 Eldorado. My friend is not too mechanically inclined, so cannot rely on him for too much info.  I don't think it is the carb either, but just need to know if 68/70 carbs interchange-they should to get him home, and then will rebuild 68 carb and re-install.

The car has suffered a few failures, but the mechanic says the needs a new carburetor.  I have a ready to go rebuilt 1970 carb and looking at the shop manual it looks nearly identical and should work.  It is understood that the fuel filter arrangement is different, but not at the carb.  It is understood that on back of 1970 carb it has an extra port to vent the solenoid controlled by trans but that can be capped.

Looking for confirmation that this is correct because will fed Ex him the carb. 

Also, is the re any special gasket or spacer?  The 1970 just uses a standard Napa gasket between intake manifold and carb?

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillactim

Scot

The 68 carb may have a wider base that the 70 for the exhaust heating. I know a 69 will fit a 68, but not positive about a 70. Look up the base gasket at Auto Zone, etc, and see if it is the same gasket for 68 and 70, as that will tell you.

Tim
Tim Groves

Scot Minesinger

Tim,

The fact that a 69 and 68 carbs are interchangeable is valuable, because I have a 69 carb on a 72 Eldorado.  I think that a 70 will certainly interchange, at least I sure think and hope so.  I think the 4 carb bolt holes spacing are same for 67 thru 76 and maybe beyond (because 77 will fit a 76).  I will ship it off.

On Rock Auto the carb mounting gaskets are different, but I do not think it is because of mounting bolt holes.

When my friend returns, we will rebuild the original carb and reinstall.  I don't really think it is the carb that is stranding him, but his never met before mechanic does and so we have to placate to some extent.

Thanks,

Scot

cadillactim

Scot

The mounting holes are the same, but that is not what is different. The 67-69 intake manifolds had the channels for the exhaust heat, thus the wider bases on the carbs. I'm not sure off hand if the 70 intake has the channels or not.

Tim
Tim Groves

Scot Minesinger

The 70 has the channels for exhaust heat.  The carb will be in MO tomorrow at 9am and I will keep you posted.

Scot Minesinger