News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

64 Cadillac Seat Belt Question

Started by 64Coupe, May 07, 2015, 07:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64Coupe

I am replacing the front seat covers on my 64 Coupe and figured I should install seatbelts while I have the seat out.  Plus with three kids I would need seat belts anyway.  As with my other post, I am a Newbie to Cadillacs and looking for any advice and tip people can give me on the installation.

Where can I buy them from?

Where do I can I connect the fronts and rear belts to on the frame, seat bolts, etc?

Pics would be very helpfully and much appreciated.

Thanks

JAS
JAS
1964 Cadillac Coupe
1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Limousine
1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

35-709

My first choice --- http://www.julianos.com/

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=PPC&utm_content=Generic-Seat_Belts&utm_campaign=Generic-Seat_Belts&utm_term=aftermarket%20seat%20belts

http://www.retrobeltusa.com/category-s/8923.htm

Lots of places come up with a Google search under a search heading such as, "seat belts for old cars"

The belts will be bolted to the floor in most cases with a special re-enforcing washer (usually supplied with the belts).  Your 1964 may have come with seat belts or at least have the seat belt holes (plugged) under the carpeting.

You might find this thread about seatbelts to be of interest ---
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=131702.0
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

russ austin

I'm gutting a 64, so I can take a few pics of the bolt holes.   Shoot me an email too;  russ85747@hotmail.com
R.Austin

Scot Minesinger

Installation of seat belts is a great idea, I read in the paper every day someone dies in a car accident and primary cause of death is not being belted in.  My volunteer fireman friends have seen many fatal car accidents, but they tell me that they have never unbuckled a dead person.

You may want to reach out to Jason Edge, he sells 63/64 Cadillac parts and is knowledgeable on this era of Cadillacs.

It would be best to get a used good set of seatbelts from a 64 and they will look right for the car.  Hopefully the body of your Cadillac already has threaded holes that are plugged for the installation of seat belts, and then of course used ones will bolt right in.  Be sure and get the bolts too with seat belts because they are an interference type that never come unscrewed very easily.

If the body is not equipped with threaded plugged holes and you have to install new, you cannot under support the seat belt anchors, but you can under-support.  It is critical that the seatbelts anchor into a very strong section of the body.  Simple 1" diameter washers thru a sheet metal hole in the body will not suffice.  The hole should be thru a reinforced section of the body and a larger say 1/8" plate 3" diameter washer used if it were me.

Scot 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

russ austin

Pics of the front seat belt bolt holes.
R.Austin

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I got a set from one of those online places. I also got shoulder belts for the front. They are not perfect, but safety is a concern. The rear belts on mine were unuseable. I threw a set from the plane in there for the kids. Don't mess around without belts.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Was there any special modifications to the front seat base performed at the factory for allowing the inner webbing to safely pass through the cushion so that there was a straight line pull from the bolt to the buckle?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon