News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Best way to polish anodized grille?

Started by Lucas Feininger #15674, May 08, 2015, 07:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas Feininger #15674

I am looking for advice on the best way to clean + polish the grille on my 1965 Sedan de Ville.

I am not planning to disassemble it but rather clean it up on the car.

Also, what would be the proper paint for the grille extensions? Mine are in kind of rough shape.

Thank you,

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

BillR. CLC # 29203

Lucas,
We used AutoSol on my son's. His was all disasembled so it was relatively easy to address all the nooks and crannies.
About $9 a tube on eBay (if you want the seller I've used drop me a line) as well from other sources.
I paid attention to where it was shipped from because most ship from Hong Kong and I'm in the USA.
Good luck.
BillR.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

1954 Fleetwood Series 60 Special

I'm also a fan of Autosol. The more you use  it the better it looks, after the second application it will be shining like chrome.

David Greenburg

I'm a fan as well.  If you are doing a grille, you will want more than a tube.  I got a small can of it from Eastwood that I'm using to clean up a '59 Eldo rear grille.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

First go over with extra fine (#0000) steel wool, followed by the polishing.

If the grille is crudded up as they often are, steel wool will be far more effective at removing heavier deposits, then followed by a final polishing. 

I have used both Autosol and Meguiar's fine cut metal polish. Both work equally well IMO.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Lucas Feininger #15674

Thank you gentlemen.

I will try the Autosol. I did try to clean things up with the 0000 steel wool, which worked well up to a point.

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

Dan LeBlanc

Eric

Do you use a lubricant, such as WD-40 in conjunction with the steel wool, or just the straight steel wool?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on May 13, 2015, 09:24:46 AM
Eric

Do you use a lubricant, such as WD-40 in conjunction with the steel wool, or just the straight steel wool?

No, I would not recommend that Dan because the WD40 would defeat the abrasiveness of the steel wool when abrasion is what is needed when trying to revive a grille that is tried looking from calcium, lime and other deposits not to mention the mess it would make.

Have used #0000 for years on SS, chrome, glass and anodized finished for decades with excellent results without any problems whatsoever.

However, I would urge caution using steel wool on any rechrome work. Few rechrome shops do what the factory did!

Thanks

cadillactim

Use hydrochloric acid to clean it up first. You can get the acid in Mag Wheel Cleaner at Auto Zone, Advance etc. Do a very small section at a time. Spray it on, scrub with a toothbrush within 10-15 seconds, and rinse with a hose. You'll be amazed how it cleans up the grill. Then you can go back and polish after the grille is done. If you happen to leave it on for more than 15 seconds, just respray and rinse.

An auto detailer first taught me about this acid. It scared me at first, but it does work great. Also good for bumpers. On bumpers let it set for 30 seconds before rinsing. On aluminum not as long.

Tim
Tim Groves

I have heard some report excellent results with acid treatment however only time I ever attempted that method, it was a disaster.

Might depend on which year grille and the particular acid product used. Before proceeding, I'd strongly recommend testing in a small inconspicuous area before a full application to an entire grille.

Dan LeBlanc

The grille on the 61, while it looks great, has some water stains and gobs of polish on it that have been nearly impossible to clean off.  I was thinking of taking the steel wool to it and then I saw this thread and figured I'd ask about the lubricant.
Dan LeBlanc

Lucas Feininger #15674

The 0000 steel wool is great for removing stains & crud; it's too fine to really scratch anything. Adding oil would not do any good, might stain.

I went over all grille spaces with the 0000 steel wool, got all the grime off but the aluminum still looks dull. I will let the board know how the Autosol works out.

BTW you can buy Autosol direct from a distributor in Texas. I bought a tube on eBay, poked around and found the distributor in TX, they even have a special Autosol for anodized aluminum so I bought a tube of that too. Expensive but I'm sure I'll use both tubes.

Tim thanks for the advice on the hydrochloride acid. I may give it a try!

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

Paul Phillips

Not speaking for or against this, but please be aware that if the surface is anodized aluminum, that is a decorative/protective finish. If you remove it by abrasion and polish the aluminum substrate, the protective part of the finish is gone - be prepared to repolish it periodically and avoid contact of the surface by strong chemicals. It will look great when polished, but you have also bought a perpetual maintenance chore in repolishing to remove oxidation and chemical stains.

Hope this us useful info!

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Dan LeBlanc

For the last 14 years, I've been working in the architectural aluminum and glazing industry (storefronts, automatic doors, etc).  Of course, architectural aluminum is anodized.  Here are the care and maintenance instructions for anodized aluminum for one of our manufacturers.
Dan LeBlanc

As I've said, I have never had issue with #0000 on anodized aluminum grillework. It's pretty tough to remove - even if you tried.

Only Cadillac grilles that I've seen the anodizing removed is where the owner made a point of removing it.

And when it had been done, it required complete removal & disassembly of the grille for a start - and a heck of a lot more processing than just some 0000 wool.