News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 power antenna woes :(

Started by MY 59, May 09, 2015, 06:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MY 59

Hey all,

the power antenna on my 59 stuck today at half mast, with a click click click...
it will go up and then stop at a certain point
both outer and inner tubes move freely, it seems to be the thin middle tube that is jamming
I will pull the unit, but any advice is welcome
the masts are old and bent so replacing them would be good if possible?? but as I say they do run freely of each other
thanks in advance :)

David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Blade

I had a '73 Olds 98 way back and had the same problem, after a while these antennas bend just enough that you can't see it with your eyes but they don't work properly anymore. First try lubricating the antenna lightly on the outside (clear bicycle oil or similar with a couple of drops) and give it a couple of run up and down - help manually if needed.  In my case that got it running then with careful observation of each tube I could find the problems and bend them back. The good thing with the clear oil is when you run the antenna a few times it leaves streaks that can tell you where the problem is. After that I just kept waxing it to provide easier sliding and actually never had any problems again.

If these don't help the problem could be deeper and probably needs disassembling. Good luck!

savemy67

Hello Dave,

The link below may be helpful if you eventually rebuild your antenna.  The photos illustrate a 1960 antenna rebuild.

Christopher Winter

http://www.palmantics.com/cadillac/restoration/antenna.html
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Quentin Hall

Gday Dave, if the plastic rod is worn you can replace it with whipper snipper cable available at Bunnings.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

MY 59

hard part here is that with the antenna at half mast, I cant remove the unit from the car!!!
I need a vehicle hoist, or to somehow lower the antenna :(

Quentin Hall

If you carefully take off the barrel (without losing all the little springs) you should be able to drop it.  You can't do it on a two post hoist without risking flex damage and a 4 post won't be much more benefit other than getting to the barrel easier. I've just pulled the 53 off the 4 post if you want to come over to Carlisle.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

MY 59

thinking of just cutting it and replacing with a generic new one,
has pretty poor reception as it is and I am sure a new one would make an improvement??

Quentin Hall

If you cut it. . . I'll cut you.  >:(
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

59-in-pieces

Dave,
Ho-De-phone.
Cut - the horror.
Have you tried jacking up the P side bumper - remove the wheel - remove the rear inner fender well sheet metal - remove the chrome nut on top of the fender around the antenna - remove the ground - disconnect the wire leads - disconnect the antenna lead to the radio - remove one bolt on the antenna motor, and fish it out.
That is how I did mine.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

MY 59

HAHA!! ease up on the threats of violence!!!! it was just a solution :)

OK I will remove the splash guard, and see what has gone wrong :)

MY 59

so did what Steve suggested and JUST managed to slide the unit and the stuck mast out (a little persuasive but gentle bending)

stripped the unit and had a look
the nylon cable is nice and strong, but pretty meaty with small serations from being gripped by the wheel.
mast moves up and down OK, but when unit is back together gets stuck again.
will use sand paper too take all of the dags and nooks off the nylon as I believe that is what is binding up, the motor etc is all good.