News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Eldorado Biarritz paint questions

Started by Whit, May 12, 2015, 03:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Put the body onto the frame yesterday. As I prepare to have my '60 Eldorado Biarritz painted, several questions arise about where to paint what. By that, I mean that certain areas appear to have been painted body color and others black or red-oxide. Since my car has been repainted by a previous owner, I don't know what the right colors are for several areas. My questions are:

1) Interior fire wall and floor pans...red-oxide (seems to be original)...?
2) Underside of the hood...black or body color...(seems to have been black originally)?
3) Underside of trunk...black or body color...(also seems to have been black originally)?
4) Trunk floor...red-oxide...or body color ??? 
5) Area behind rear seat where hydraulic pump is located...red-oxide...or...body color...?
6) Is it correct that all sheet metal (splash shields, etc.) under the hood should be black, except the body color fire wall?

All this may sound trivial to some, but I'm trying to do it right and I can't find information on how these came from the factory.
Any knowledgeable input greatly appreciated.

Thanks  Whit    whitmcfarlin@msn.com

76eldo

Whit,

I am no expert and there are many people that know more about this than I do.

I have an original paint 60 Eldo Seville torn apart right now.
The car is black.

I can tell you for sure that the inside of the trunk lid is body color and the inside of the hood is black.

When I took out my gas tank I was surprised at all of the red oxide primer in that area so the bottom of the car is mainly red oxide with a lot of body color overspray.

The firewall is body color and I can't really tell how far into the Trans tunnel the color goes because my car is black and was undercoated.

I can snap pics of any area that I have apart for you as the car is on a life and I can get to almost everything.

I am also going to do a full paint because the paint on the car is too far gone to keep it original.

I'm going to paint the front splash aprons and inner fenders with a satin or low gloss black and would like some suggestions on that.  Powder coating may be a good option here too.

Good luck

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Whit

Brian:

I do know that the car came from the factory with the underside painted red-oxide...there were remnants in the wheel wells and a few other places. It looks like the floor pans and interior of the car was also red-oxide, at least where it wasn't visible.

As I said, I have not found and documentation that states what these other places were painted. Could have varied over time...don't know.

Whit

JoeKarasinski

underside is red oxide. fire wall is body color sprayed just past where it rolls under the car. inside of fenders, hood radiator support and splash shields semi gloss or satin black. On the underside just above the trans and in the rear wheel wells is something similar to rubberized undercoat. inside the trunk under carpet and the inside of the quarters is red oxide and inside of trunk lid and hinges are body color.

Body is painted before it was mounted to the chassis so you'll find body color over spray under the car too the under coat appears to have been sprayed on after the body is painted but before its put on the chassis.

Any how that's what I found on my 6239 and by what others have posted here before.

quadfins

I concur with Joe and Brian, based on the research I conducted for the '61/62 Authenticity Manual. From what I have seen, 1960 methods were similar.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Whit

Thanks to all...that is the way it will be.

Whit

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed with all that has been posted.

One minor point: On the inside of decklid is cardboard-like insulation sandwiched between decklid itself and the reinforcement panel. On Cadillacs of this era, it appears that while the reinforcement (skeleton) was painted body color, the insulation had gotten overspray only - to the best of my knowledge - not full coverage as is sometimes done in restorations.     

Quote from: JoeKarasinski on May 12, 2015, 11:21:44 PM
Body is painted before it was mounted to the chassis so you'll find body color over spray under the car too the under coat appears to have been sprayed on after the body is painted but before its put on the chassis.

Joe, regarding 59/60 as originally manufactured, could you clarify a couple points?

Where would body color appear on the undercarriage?

Body color overspray should never appear on undercoating. Is that correct?

What about brake lines that run below the rocker panels on cars without undercoating? Should they be oversprayed in body color?   

Thanks.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

In that day and age, when bodies were still painted by a human with a spray gun, anything that was attached to the body before lowering onto the frame would have had overspray on it.  The painter would shoot the underside of the rocker area so whatever would fly out beyond the gun in that area would have overspray.  There's no exact science to recreating it.

There was undercoating applied in select areas as a sound deadening material prior to paint.  Usually above the rear axle, at certain predetermined points inside the trunk and inside the car.  This was done after the car was primed but before paint.

A car with dealer applied undercoating would've had it applied to the whole underside except the exhaust and slight overspray on shocks and springs.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

76eldo

The lines are actually the fuel and return line.

They are bolted to the body but they run from the tank to the engine bay. Question is when are they installed. Before paint, or after paint?  That would be the deciding factor as far as if they should be bare steel, or have body color on them.

I'd like to know too.
Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

All of my cars have had the dealer applied undercoat, so I have no way to tell.

Eric - what about your '59?  Is it undercoated or no?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

JoeKarasinski

Fuel lines are installed after paint, sound deadening undercoat is also applied after paint. I have pictures but they need to be re sized before I can post.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Dan - Yes, undercoated.

Undercoat on fuel lines as well.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

JoeKarasinski

Hard to see in the picture but here's what mine looks like. Red Primer then paint then under coat.

Whit

Interesting discussion. I had not planned to undercoat the car, given the Florida environment. On other cars I have used Dyna-Mat or Fat Mat on the interior floors for sound deadening and sealing. What are the prevailing thoughts on this approach?

Whit