News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Started by Davidinhartford, May 12, 2015, 11:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidinhartford

Removed

David Greenburg

I will defer to the '61 experts as to the correct width (probably narrower than you might expect; for my '60, its 2.25").  But whatever the width, I would highly recommend going with Diamondback.  They are great tires, and they will make whatever width you want.   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

quadfins

I have a set of 8.20 X 15 bias ply tires, that I bought from Universal Tire. The correct whitewall width, as David says, is 2 1/4 inches, starting right at the wheel rim. '60 and '61 whitewalls are the same - the width changed for '62.

Whether you go with bias or radial will be a personal choice based on what you want to do with the car. I have driven my '61 from Virginia to Grand Nationals in New Jersey, Ohio, Florida, Massachusetts, and New York, and the bias ply tires have not given me any problems. Radials provided a slightly better fuel economy (if one can call it that, with these cars...) when I ran on them previously.

If you go with radials, Diamondback can probably get you the best whitewall match. I have no experience with them, but others speak well. For bias, Coker, Universal, and a few others have them available, so you can shop around for the best deal.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

TonyZappone #2624

Another vote for Diamond Back.  10 years on 4 1940's and 50 cars.  Nothing but great performance and comfort.  I do not choose to drive on bias-belt tires anymore.  We are not use to them, and the feel is not good to me.  I am forced to drive bias belt on my 1936 car.  Many significant national clubs no longer deduct for radials. 
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Dan LeBlanc

There were radials on my 61 when I bought it.  When I brought it to show at Hershey the first time, I went to Universal Vintage Tire in Hershey and had 5 bias ply tires mounted. 

Fast forward to last fall, I bought a set of rims and had the radials mounted on those - I figured might as well save the bias for show.

I'm going to put my bias ply tires back on as soon as I get a chance.  The car sits too low and just looks plain goofy on the radials.  Bias ply tires took a little getting used to, but, once you've gotten over the fact that they don't handle like a radial, the car drives great with them.  The ride is much better I find.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

James Landi

How much to the bias versus radial discussion is based on the Cadillac's recommended tire pressure reference.  Can a bias tire better sustain 24 PSI front and 22 PSI rear as was recommended for older models? James

Dan LeBlanc

In 1961, the tire recommended pressure was 24psi at all four corners, but increased to 28 for sustained highway driving.

I got the US Royal 8.20-15 with 2 1/4" white wall. 

The car originally came equipped with BFG, but they only make those in 2 1/2". 

So far, I'm very happy with the US Royals.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Sure do.

On bias ply:

On radials:

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

If you want the best of both worlds, you could go with Coker's radial construction bias lookalike.  Looks the part, would fool most people except judges.  Alas, the whitewall is 1" wider, however.

https://www.cokertire.com/american-classic-820r15-3-1-4-inch-whitewall.html
Dan LeBlanc

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed.

2 1/4" looks just right on 59-61. Have them on the '62 as well although technically incorrect. (Couldn't they have just waited 'till 63?  ::))
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

bill06447

With a tape measure and a bit of finagling you can figure what the correct white wall width is by comparing your car to the pictures in the original factory literature https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

I will concur with the comment, bias ply tires belong on a car of this vintage; radials just don't look right

Bill

Lucas Feininger #15674

Dan, I like that picture of your 61 on the cliff. Beautiful photo. Where was that taken? Did you mean to have the warning sign in the background?
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

willits

I’m running Sabres instead of stock wheels, but all the same here’s mine on US Royal 8.20-15’s with 2 ¼”  WWWs. 
Peter
Peter Willits
1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst
2008 STS-V http://bit.ly/1O6CI3P

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Lucas Feininger #15674 on May 13, 2015, 08:46:31 PM
Dan, I like that picture of your 61 on the cliff. Beautiful photo. Where was that taken? Did you mean to have the warning sign in the background?

It was taken just outside Saint John, New Brunswick up here in the Great White North.  The warning sign was purely coincidental. 

First day with a new iPhone 5S and figured I'd try out the camera.
Dan LeBlanc

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Dave,

What prompted this acquisition anyway? Had you been looking for a skeg car in particular, impulse buy or what? (Enquiring minds and all that... ;D)

Be sure to post some pics when you can with a full description!

-E
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

fishchipper

Quote from: David Smith on May 13, 2015, 07:26:44 PM
My head is spinning with all the differement brands and companies to buy from.  Then the dilema of bias vs. radials.  LOL

But it sounds like a 2 1/4 inch stripe is the way to go.

I just went through this dilemma and will tell you I can say with 100% clarity that I am so happy I went with radials.  I chose diamondback, and they can make whatever size whitewall you want.  For me, the choice came down to 100% period correctness or comfort driving.  My car is still all original (with the exception of the tires).  The drive is MUCH improved with the radials, and I am thrilled with how they look.

My $.02 is that judging shouldn't penalize you for having safer tires on there.  You aren't penalized for adding seat belts to cars without them, so I think the same should be said for tires.  Sorry, I digress.

If you are big into showing the car for points, go bias.  If you want to use the car and enjoy the ride more, I say go radials.