News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How To Load Test An Ignition Coil

Started by Jon S, May 13, 2015, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

How do you load test an ignition coil to see if it's breaking down under load or heat?

I'm thinking this may be causing the stalling at stop sighs problem on hot engine . . .
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

walt chomosh #23510

Jon,
  GM had a machine that heated the coil for proper check. The simpliest method for troubleshooting would be to install another one and test.(don't stray too far from home!) Coils can be a pain....I've had my share of failures,thus,I carry a spare....walt...tulsa,ok

Jon S

Quote from: walt chomosh #23510 on May 13, 2015, 05:40:19 PM
Jon,
  GM had a machine that heated the coil for proper check. The simpliest method for troubleshooting would be to install another one and test.(don't stray too far from home!) Coils can be a pain....I've had my share of failures,thus,I carry a spare....walt...tulsa,ok

I bought a new one, but these "replacement" parts are 2 1/4" wide as opposed to the 2 1/8" width of my original coil and do not fit into the coil holder for a test drive despite buying a longer screw, etc..  It goes back to the nobody can make replacement parts correctly.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT