News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1984 Brougham A/C

Started by JerRita, May 14, 2015, 12:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerRita

Hi all I have an 84 Brougham the a/c works perfect on auto or high If I set it to low the compressor shuts off It changes from cold to hot on auto but on low it only blows hot Freon level is full any ideas? Thanks JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

cadillactim

I would suspect your dash control. There is a plastic film inside that deteriorates and falls apart with age. These pieces get between the contacts and causes problems. Since the programmer is working okay in Auto then it should be okay. All the Lo setting does is slow the fan down. If it were the blower module (which can cause the compressor not to work) then the compressor would act up in in Auto as well.

Tim
Tim Groves

JerRita

Thanks Tim we were playing with it today and the compressor is cycleing on low but only blows hot When I turn it up to 65 from 60 it also changes to hot The only cold I get is on 60 on auto and it gets super cold then Right before this happened I shut the car off the controller was on 60 low and working perfect when I turned it off and when I restarted the car it was on 85 defrost by itself I reset to 60 low and the problem began? thanks Jerry PS is it haunted???

cadillactim

If the a/c on works on 60, and then goes to full heat at 65, then the motor in the programmer is  bad. Common problem. But this would happen in Lo, Auto, High, and Defrost.

Tim
Tim Groves

JerRita

thanks Tim Do I need to replace the programmer? JeRita

cadillactim

The motors are hard to find anymore. I only sell the programmers rebuilt. But honestly the solenoids in these programmers will give you problems as they will stick and not send air flow where it needs to go. I replace the solenoids with the better designed ones. It's only going to be a matter of time before the solenoids stick in your programmer. The complete rebuilt programmer with motor is $175 plus $15 US shipping. If you want one you can email me at tagroves@wctel.net or call me at 864-348-7732.

Tim
Tim Groves