News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Windshield Wipers Don't Stop

Started by Scott Halver, May 16, 2015, 12:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Halver

Hello, I have an all original 1960 Cadillac (windshield wipers never messed with, been driven for 55 yrs, not sitting, but not driven in rain for awhile).   The windshield wipers will come on........  but then they don't want to shut off.   The wipers like go down for a couple of seconds and then try to go again.   I read a posting where someone found that the actuating lever that operates the parking and stop assembly was tight so they oiled it and all was good-    but that looks like I have to take the motor/trans unit out.    Maybe I just need to clean the electric switch that operates the unit ?    or is there somewhere I can drip some oil to try to loosen things up ?

SHalver #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

Ken Perry

You have to take the wiper motor off the car,take it apart, clean and regrease,should work fine then.Common problem with GM wiper motors.My 60 Cad  is doing that,but since I live in sunny California,I keep putting off working on it !Ken Perry 
Cadillac Ken

35-709

It has been quite some time since I had my '60 coupe and worked on the windshield wipers for the same problem.  It seems that I remember that Bruce Reynolds also had the same problem with his which involves a small rubber piece slid over the actuating lever that made the shutoff work, without that rubber piece the arm is not moved enough when contacted and the wipers don't want to shut off.  Bruce may have had a picture of it and I am hoping he will read this thread and post the picture if he indeed has one.

Do as Ken Perry suggested and while in there you may find the remnants of that rubber piece (I did).  I cut off a short piece of vacuum hose of a size that would fit snugly and put a dab of super glue in it at the same time.  Quite sure you will not find the problem to be in your switch.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scott Halver

Thank you for the really good feedback..........   sounds like I need to take the wiper motor/unit out of the car and go through it.....   and not the electrical switch.   SHalver #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

MY 59

Good excuse to strip the wiper motor, lube it all up etc,
mine was seized up when I got the car but didnt take long to get back to perfect working order

there is a rebuild kit for the washer plunger assembly also if yours doesnt work, can do that while you are at it :)

good luck
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Before you take the car apart do this-- The screws that hold the switch into the dash pad-- loosen and retighten them to be sure the switch ground is OK.. Then check the ground on the wiper motor--- I am going by memory here--- But I think it is ONE of the mount screws that is also a ground--- Without a GOOD ground, the wipers will SOMETIMES not shut off and may start at any time.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?