News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 Cadillac Series 62. What is this electric part?

Started by TBZ_57_Series_62, May 17, 2015, 05:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBZ_57_Series_62

I was looking and this part appears it might have a small crack... I was looking to identify and probably replace, so if anyone can help with what this does and where i might find one to purchase.

The picture rotated after upload (don't know why)... just to clarify, the part sits on the firewall on driver's side next to the brake booster.

Thank you
Ted

TBZ_57_Series_62

I looked online and this does not look like any ballast resistors i've found... I have uploaded  another photo that might make it easier to id.

Thanks
Ted

carguyblack

I had a 1957 Oldsmobile that had one of these resisters on the firewall area that was for the speed control reostat of the blower motor. Used to glow like a toaster if looking at it at night with the blower motor running.  Perhaps that is what Cadillac did that year, too.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

wbdeford

I think carguyblack is right....heater resistor...deleting my earlier comment, since it was wrong.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Dave Burke

Yep,  ballast resistor.  Got one on my '57 in the same place. 

Dave Burke
1957 Sedan Deville
1963 Series 62 - Project LUX
1983 Maserati Quattroporte

"Who loves ya, Baby?" - Kojak

TBZ_57_Series_62

I've looked online for ballast resistor,  but none look like the one in my car... does anyone know where I might find this exact part?
Mine has 3 terminals, the ones I see online have 2

Ted

TBZ_57_Series_62

I found a wiring diagram and it looks like it is the heater resistor... can anyone confirm this and does anyone know where I can purchase one?

Ted

J. Gomez

If the resistance wire inside is intact you could service yours, just epoxy the cracks on the ceramic case.

The resistance wire inside the case would be filled with ceramic cement to control and dissipate the heat from the wire; you may need to re-apply a new coat.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

wbdeford

According to the '57 shop manual wiring diagram, page 12-46, the coil resistor (a.k.a. ballast resistor), has 3 wires: pink, black, and yellow.  Those don't match the picture here at all.  But it shows light blue, dark blue, and 2 dark greens going to the heater resistor.

I can't quite tell what color the top wire is in the pic--at first I thought it was green, but it could be blue--but the bottom definitely shows 2 dark green and 1 dark blue.  Heater resistor.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Yep, Ballast resistor for 57 Cadillac is what you have there-- No question about it.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

TBZ_57_Series_62

Rod, I cannot find a single image of a ballast resistor online that looks like my part, but i can find images of other 57 caddys that have this exact part (just like mine)... how might i find this part to purchase another... does anyone know where they sell this part or if my part has another name?

Thank you everybody for your help.
Ted

Walter Youshock

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Rod Dahlgren #19496

In the 1957 Shop Manual on page 320 -- section 12-46  -- figure 12-66 You will see this resistor in the diagram. It is for the heater blower motor- NOT the ignition. They changed it in 1958, then in 59 it was changed again.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?