News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960-1962 Heater VALVE bowden cable adjustments

Started by Tom Hoczyk , CLC 14044, May 19, 2015, 07:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Hoczyk , CLC 14044

My 1960 Eureka Cadillac commercial chassis has factory a/c taken from a 1962 Cadillac commercial chassis.  I am in the process of installing the heater box assembly that includes a new heater core and rebuilt heater valve.  There are two bowden cables on the heater valve.  I really can't quite figure out what the 2nd cable is for, and I'm seeking advice on setting the proper position of both cables.  Is there a manual from the Harrison Division in Dayton that built the system in the first place?  If so, I'd love to get my hands on it. 

Also, as shown in the photo, the linkage for the fresh air flap is not connected to the "driving stud".  When I force the connection together, it totally locks up all the normal acting linkage.  This is the way I found it when I took it out of the car and I am doubting that any previous owners messed with it.  Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance for any help.  This car will be in Milwaukee next month.
Tom Hoczyk

Scott Halver

I had the same "box" out of my 1960 Cadillac this past winter, Bowden cables off, switch in dash replaced etc.   If I can remember correctly, you have two cables coming off the switch on the dash.......   the top/first Bowden cable goes to the box to operate the defrost mode of the unit-  door moves to push hot air onto the windshield.   A short cable is located with the box to open the heater valve (2 connections on the valve).   Make sure the doors open all the way before you install the heater core and the box back into the car............  a lot easier than trying to tweak the linkages while in the car.   The second Bowden cable goes to the bottom portion of the switch on the dash and operates the "normal" heat.    We soaked the cables in transmission oil for several days to get them loosened-up..... probably could have just use new cables.   The bottom/second Bowden cable connects with the heater switch directly if I remember right (could connect with linkage and then the linkage connects with the valve).   A window exists on the box to look through to make the final adjustments on the heater valve.   You want to make sure that the heater valve closes completely before you close everything up.   I put all new flex hoses on-   original hoses were poor to non-existent.    Hope this helps,  SHalver #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

1960eldo

Can someone post a photo of a heater box installed?  I am trying to figure out where the second belden attaches.  I have the cable attached that actuates the baffle for defrost and I understand how the short cable attaches to the heater core valve and interacts with the actuation system.  I am thinking the belden that is actuated by the heat switch attaches to the lever on the side of the box ( the one inside the rectangle).  But I would think that there should be an anchor for the sheath and there is none.

Scott Halver

One Bowden cable is for the heater and one is for the a/c........ ?   The switch on the left side of the steering column is for the a/c and the switch on the right is for the heater.   Are you having trouble finding where to hook the cable on the heater box ?      The Bowden cable for the a/c goes out to the "valve" next to the compressor.    SHalver #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350