News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1930 engine removal

Started by yachtflame, May 19, 2015, 09:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yachtflame

I'm trying to remove the engine from my '30 Lasalle. In the past, I've replaced the tranny with out removing the engine. Now I want to remove the engine and not the tranny. I get them to mostly sepperate but the left side of the engine gets hung up on the steering box. Any body have a solution to this?
Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

Johan Boltendal #158

did you try to pull the rear axle back in it's shackles, as far as possible? it might just be enough bringing the trans backwards this way

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Wayne,

Engine will come out without removing the steering box. It is VERY VERY Close! Actually the FIRST time I remove one, I thought I needed to remove the steering box and did so just because it was a full restoration anyway. BUT THE SECOND ONE I did--- I tried it without removing the box and it was FINE--- just slow and easy and up it came. As you know, the clutch housing has those big mounting ears and they make it a real wide piece of work to wiggle it out between the frame and box, but it will work.

I probably have pictures from when I did it last. But I think that you can figure it out from here.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

31caddy

Quote from: Rod Dahlgren #19496 on May 19, 2015, 06:27:42 PM
Wayne,

Engine will come out without removing the steering box. It is VERY VERY Close! Actually the FIRST time I remove one, I thought I needed to remove the steering box and did so just because it was a full restoration anyway. BUT THE SECOND ONE I did--- I tried it without removing the box and it was FINE--- just slow and easy and up it came. As you know, the clutch housing has those big mounting ears and they make it a real wide piece of work to wiggle it out between the frame and box, but it will work.

I probably have pictures from when I did it last. But I think that you can figure it out from here.

With the transmission still installed???
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

Rod Dahlgren #19496

NO---- The transmission stays in the car-- Use a jack under the transmission to support it. Remove starter to help make more working room. I also remove the linkage pieces off of the steering box just to get them out of harm's way. I'll look see if I have any photos taken last time I pulled one of these.. Not sure if I took any...
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

31caddy

Wayne says he got it done. He dropped the steering box down some.
My interest is because my turn will come sooner or later, LOL.  ;D   I didn't mean try to pull the engine with the trans still attached to it, but I was wondering if the input shaft would keep one from moving the engine far enough forward/sideways with the steering box clearance issue and the trans still installed in the car. Glad to hear you don't have to drop the trans before pulling the engine.  I hate dropping rear axles/torque tubes and will crawl over broken glass to avoid doing so.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR