News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1953 Cadillac convertible conversion

Started by VooDoo, May 20, 2015, 01:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VooDoo

I am looking at this 1953 Cadillac. It wAs a 4 door and the guy turned it into a convertible. Welded the doors extended the fender detail so t looks like a 2door and chopped the windshield. I asked him what reinforcement was done and he said none. This kinda worried me as I have heard conflicting info regarding reinforcing the fame and body. He claims everything lines up well and opens And shuts properly. It is a project and I can get it for 3500. I am just wondering what reinforce if any needs to be done or if I should just stay clear. Thanks
Andy Fulenwider
1937 75 Series Convertible
1947 62 Series Custom Project

kav

I think the convertible weighs about a hundred kilos more than the sedan due to the strengthened chassis .
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA

VooDoo

Any word the the need for added strength so it won't twist going down the road
Andy Fulenwider

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Were I you, and embarking on a project that was (improperly done)...Nearly everyone knows that you reinforce the frame of a convertible, I would obtain a stack of thirty one hundred dollar bills and count them out to your prospective seller. You can keep five more in your pocket if he balks. But he has to know that he goofed up, and that he's found a sucker. (You.) (Stop at #27 and see what he does...)

Having the cash in hand in a lesser amount shows both that you are a serious buyer, and that you aren't going to put up with his mistake.

That is an inexpensive way to get a nice convertible, but you must realize that you will always have trouble moving it should you wish to. Also, the 1953, because of Korean War chrome, is the most expensive of the four years to chrome. (1950-53).

It sounds interesting, but be very, very careful. And best of luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

VooDoo

if I did in bark on this project, what modifications should be done in order to make sure the body doesn't twist? one would think that the X Frame would be pretty solid I've heard people mention a 38 inch plate in the middle but I've also heard people say that the frame is solid but you need to enforce v trunk area below the package tray. So I'm a little confused on the reinforcement that truly ought to be done. If I'm going to spend $$$$$by the time I'm done I need to make sure its reinforced correctly. I have also had people tell me if you're going to chop a top off you might as well just buy the convertible and do it right because in the end it will cost you a ton of money either way.I just saw this project as a lot of work already done and potentially saving me a bunch of money. any thoughts?
Andy Fulenwider

VooDoo

if by moving it you are referring to selling it that would not be my plan. But if by moving it you mean driving it then I will obviously do that
Andy Fulenwider

59-in-pieces

Andy,
What is your experience level with restorations, let alone customizing - they are seriously two different worlds.
If your experience is not strong, this car doesn't seem to be the one you want to cut your teeth on.
The going in price is not going to cover the not knowing what to do next costs.
However, if you are set on doing such a project, I would consult experts on the Modified Cadillac forum - who have perhaps way more experience than you may find here - no offense guys.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

VooDoo

I have done a couple cars before however I usually have my buddy do a lot of work for me. I am not a purist so I don't really mind that it has been converted. My thought would be to go all custom with it anyways. like I've said before the fact that there has been no reinforcement done kind of worries me but I would think that we could still reinforce it and make it work. the thought was, at the end of the day it would be a cheaper way to have a custom convertible as opposed to starting from scratch or buying a convertible and redoing it. I don't want to make a stupid mistake and buy something that I'll never be able to drive because it was improperly done and now I can't resolve the issue.
Andy Fulenwider

Dan LeBlanc

If you have your doubts now, trust your instinct and walk.  It may be cheap on the front end but may end up costing much more on the back end.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

gary griffin

It should be easy to figure out the strength the top gave the sedan and duplicate it in the frame. Any good structural engineer could solve that problem. The answer may be ugly but the truth sometimes is.   
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

The Tassie Devil(le)

Personally, I would be taking the car for a drive, and observing just how much body flex there is between the back of the boor, and the body.

If it doesn't drive, then close the doors, and jump around inside the car, behind the seat, near the side, and look for any movement.

Whatever you do, do not put your finger, or any part of your body over the gap whilst doing this, or you WILL get bitten.

Any movement, and forget it.   

Lastly, jack the car up, using the Bumper Bar Jack, and then try and open, or close the door.   Even Factory Convertibles flex, but not as much as cut-downs.   I know this from experience.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

VooDoo

Here are a couple pics that are off the add. So we can see what I'm talking about
Andy Fulenwider

VooDoo

looks like they came out small. Not sure how to enlarge them. Sorry
Andy Fulenwider

VooDoo

Andy Fulenwider

Blade

I am more familiar with the '59 setups but probably not that far off on the '53s or from any year. On the inside most of the reinforcements are done on the floor, also there is more for the front fenders inside the engine compartment but I don't know if there is really any addition to the chassis. Attached are a couple of pics, first one is a sedan floor vs. second is a convertible.

If you like welding or know someone good at it I guess probably best to check with a '53 convert owner and copy their setup.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would be walking away from this one.

Unless, you want to make it into a full custom, as there isn't much left og the original car that could be recouped in the need arises to cover costs.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

VooDoo

It would a full custom. Everything modern No top, just a fair weather cruiser.
Andy Fulenwider

Bill Young

I would be real careful about buying this car unless you have a lot of varied talents in Engineering and metalwork , paint and bodywork , and trim work as well as deep pockets. One Mans opinion.

cadillac ken

Andy:  I've owned and still own a Restoration Custom Built car shop for 24 years now.  We've done some really ambitious projects on the custom side of things.  We have an English Wheel, Pulmax machine, etc. and are known for our metalworking expertise.

My biggest concern with this car is the windshield.  The curved OEM glass is a real tough issue to deal with.  It looks like the guy has tried to make his own windshield frame but I'm not sure what glass he intends to use.  We've chopped some 50's cars with the wrap around windshield and it is a difficult task.  Cutting those windshields is a "nail biter" and you can easily go through a couple in the process.

As for the reinforcement. I'm not an engineer but I can tell you my '58 Biarritz (conv) has a ½" thick steel flat stock that is added (welded) to the bottom of the stock frame at the factory.  It is an "X" frame.  In that car the rockers have an inner that is made of 11 gage steel and it is a boxed arrangement.  I know this because I had to duplicate and weld in new ones on my Biarritz.  These add to the structural integrity.

Sorry I'm not more familiar with the 1953.  But I would say you are looking at a cool car but it probably will need a whole lot more than meets the eye.  Most guys that cut these up are, not to sound like a pompous arse, amateurs that many of the details of a build like that are lost on.  However with that said, for the money it may be worth it to you to take on the project.  Nothing is irreversible and there's always a solution to every problem.  It's just a matter of how comfortable you are with your abilities and your buddy's abilities. 

The flex issue some here have addressed is true.  But there are plenty of new and newer convertibles that I have jacked up on one side only to see a surprising amount of gap change in the door to fender and jamb areas (and as a habit I do not even open the doors on a car that is topless and jacked up-- until it's back down on the ground)  Yet, if with the car jacked on one side and the door is unable to be opened at all then that certainly points to a flex problem.

Hope the info helps your decision.

cadillac ken

...Forgot one more point.  Check the floors.  If they are rusted or iffy than this too can add to the flex problem.  Convertibles need good solid floors to help control flex.

Good luck, k caskey in Florida