News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I'm New to the forums and I love CLC

Started by Joeys1937, May 20, 2015, 12:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeys1937

Hi guys I am new to the Cadillac forum And I love all the info you guys have! My dad just recently purchased a 1939 Cadillac 9033 v-16 and I would like to find out some more information about the car.

The style number 39-9033
The body number           1
The trim number  so-2957
The paint numbed

If you guys can point me in the right direction, it would help me out a lot!  Thanks again
Second Generation CLC member!
1937 fleetwood four door convertible in the works!
1939 fleetwood four door 9033 body number 1!! V16

also looking for a 1937-39 Opera Coupe.

D.Yaros

Welcome to the CLC Forum and the world of Cadillac!

Factory records on this car may be available from the GM Heritage Center.  Check here - https://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/GM_Vehicle_Invoices,_Build_Records_and_Vintage_Vehicle_Information_Availability

Build Records

The build record is a document that followed the vehicle down the assembly line as the car was being built. Assembly line workers used the option codes on the build record to determine which part they were to install. The build record option codes were specific to different vehicle lines and require decoding to understand individual options.

Cadillac is the only General Motors division that was able to preserve the majority of their factory build records all the way back to 1903. These build records have taken on many forms over the years. Early build records were hand written in oversized leather bound journals. While more recent records are computer generated.

Build records are available for Cadillac only. There are no Cadillac build records available for 1968, 1974-1979 and some 1973 models. Cadillac build records are printed from microfilm or microfiche. This package will include information pertaining to the option code and will be mailed USPS for $50 USD.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Jeff Hansen

SO-2957 (Special Order #2957) indicates there was something non-standard about the car that was done to it when it was assembled.  The number 2957 was the sequential number used to identify this SO.   The SO could be anything from a non-standard paint color or upholstery fabric to the-sky-is-the-limit.

The only chance you would have of determining what was done to require a Special Order is to order a copy of the build sheet as Dave mentioned.  Paint and upholstery codes should be on the sheet.  If you do order the build sheet, post a copy of it here and we can help you decipher it.

Hope this helps you!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Joeys1937

Sweet!!! Thank you guys!! I just ordered the build sheet and now I have to wait two to three weeks to recive it! Now I can't wait!! I feel like it's Christmas!!😁😁😁
Second Generation CLC member!
1937 fleetwood four door convertible in the works!
1939 fleetwood four door 9033 body number 1!! V16

also looking for a 1937-39 Opera Coupe.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Joeys1937 on May 20, 2015, 12:35:18 PM
Hi guys I am new to the Cadillac forum And I love all the info you guys have! My dad just recently purchased a 1939 Cadillac 9033 v-16 and I would like to find out some more information about the car.

The style number 39-9033
The body number           1
The trim number  so-2957
The paint numbed

If you guys can point me in the right direction, it would help me out a lot!  Thanks again

Being there is no paint number (if that's correct), that could well account for the special order (although not necessarily exclusively).
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Joey,
When a car has an SO #, it does not show paint or interior code. No matter which one or both caused the SO. The document you receive will tell you what the SO was. Please share the document when you get it.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Chris Cummings

Hi Joey,

And congratulations to you and your Dad on your V-16 Cadillac. 

The GM Heritage Center has on its website some scanned documents relating to Cadillacs from past years.

This web address:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

includes information for 1939 as well as many other years that you can download, read, print and save.  For 1939, they have the salesman's data book (with lots of specifications and production details for the V-16s).  They also have the accessory brochure, price lists and owner's manual, as well as the preliminary service information that Cadillac sent to all of the service men while they printed up the shop manual.  I don't think they have a full 1939 shop manual posted on the GM Heritage Center web site, but you can get reprints (or sometimes originals) on eBay.

What is the engine number of your Dad's car, and what do you know about the car's history?  Each one of these cars has its own fascinating story if you're lucky enough to be able to follow the clues.

Thanks and good luck!

Chris Cummings

I once had a '64 CdV SO but it still had the paint code...

Blade

Quote from: ericdev on May 21, 2015, 11:24:18 AM
I once had a '64 CdV SO but it still had the paint code...

Same on the '59s, SO trim still shows paint number (see pic). I also had the plate from a SO paint car but can't find it right now. I'll post that too if I ever find it....

Well, I would also have to concede that things may well have been done differently in 1939 than in the '50s and beyond.

SO paint was also supposed to receive the code "00" but the OP reports no code at all.

Stands to reason the paint code should appear - so long as it was a standard paint color - SO notwithstanding. Perhaps Bob can clarify...

Quote from: Blade on May 21, 2015, 12:01:42 PM
Same on the '59s, SO trim still shows paint number (see pic). I also had the plate from a SO paint car but can't find it right now. I'll post that too if I ever find it....

SO 1977 - that's an easy one to remember.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an SO 1959?   8)

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: ericdev on May 21, 2015, 12:27:36 PM
Well, I would also have to concede that things may well have been done differently in 1939 than in the '50s and beyond.

SO paint was also supposed to receive the code "00" but the OP reports no code at all.

Stands to reason the paint code should appear - so long as it was a standard paint color - SO notwithstanding. Perhaps Bob can clarify...
Eric,
Your first paragraph tells the story.  Most of my research was 42 & earlier. I stand by my statement for his 39 Cadillac
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Terry Wenger

1939 Cadillac 9033 body no.1 should be serial number 5290007 was originally sent to Rochester New York on 10-24-38. In 1963 it was owned by Clarence Tolson. In the 60's or 70's the engine was removed for rebuilding and apparently left in a machine shop. Around that time Allan Jones was working on his'38 9033F formal sedan and came across that engine. He put it in that car and it is still there although the car has had several owners since then.

Bob is correct in that there is no color specified on the pre-war S.O. cars.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S