News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Eldorado Biarritz antenna issue

Started by guyrobert, May 20, 2015, 01:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyrobert

Hi, I am having an issue with the antenna in my 57, the motor works, the mast is good but where the cord that draws it up or down attaches to the mast bottom it's broken. Are there any readily available replacement parts? Is there someone who still repairs these?
Thanks Robert
1979 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance
1979 Coupe De Ville Phaeton
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
Robert Simpson

Lucas Feininger #15674

Try:

www.cadillactim.com

He has done a couple of antennas for me.
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

guyrobert

Thanks for the tip, I met with a local jeweler this morning to see if he can fabricate the connection between the stainless steel top mast and the brass ferule at the end of the nylon cord.
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
Robert Simpson

savemy67

Hello Robert,

I have a similar situation.  My nylon cable broke about 3 inches below the ferrule.  I was able to remove the ferrule from the mast.  I have located some small brass tubing and I am contemplating reattaching the remainder of my nylon cable to a fabricated ferrule and the mast.  I have also contacted cadillactim for suggestions.  With my reduced antenna height, I guess I will only be able to pick up "short" wave signals!

Please post here or PM me with the results of your jeweler's efforts.  Thanks.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

guyrobert

Hi Christopher, Well My jeweler called today and the antenna is all fixed.
He had to fabricate a stainless steel doughnut or bump at the bottom of the stainless steel antenna that would then fit into the Brass ferule that is crimped onto the hard nylon cord. Someone had used solder in the past to create the doughnut or bump and it has worn away allowing the nylon cord (with the brass ferule on the end) to retract but not pulling the SS antenna with it.
Charge $50.00 CDN about $37.50 US
The nylon cord is available at least for later Cadillac models or maybe on-line and you could get a local jeweler to attach the brass ferule to it.
I use Expert Castings in Vancouver and Jacob the jeweler was keen and happy to do the work
Cheers
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
Robert Simpson

savemy67

Hello Robert,

From your post, it sounds as if Cadillac made a change between '57 and '67 in how the ferrule was retained on the stainless mast rod.  If I understand your post correctly, your jeweler fabricated a "doughnut" near the bottom of the mast rod.  This doughnut must be larger in diameter than the mast rod, and when the ferrule is placed over the doughnut, the doughnut acts like a barb on a hose fitting preventing the ferrule from slipping off the mast rod.

In the photo of my '67 mast rod, ferrule, and cable, you can see that the ferrule is held on the mast rod by a crimp that is smaller in diameter than the mast rod.  When I removed the ferrule, the diameter of the mast rod at this point was smaller than the rest of the mast rod.  Perhaps Cadillac thought this design was better for retention of the cable and ferrule to the mast rod.  In my case, it appears to be so, as my cable broke a couple of inches below the ferrule, but a small piece of the cable was still firmly attached to the ferrule which in turn was still firmly attached to the mast rod.

I purchased some brass tubing that I will experiment with to fabricate a new ferrule.  For crimping the new ferrule to the mast rod, I think I can use a couple of #6 or #4 machine screw nuts, cut in half, as crimping dies.  If possible, can you post pictures of what your jeweler did?  Thanks for your update.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

guyrobert

Hi Christopher,
You are exactly correct with your description. They have changed since 57 yours looks more like my 79  Deville nylon cord and mast replacement.
On the 57 the joint between the SS mast and the Brass ferule is not fixed the mast can rotate within the ferule but because of the larger doughnut at the very bottom of the mast, it is held in place by the crimped in end of the ferule. Also the 57 brass ferule is about 3/4 of an inch long and the cord looks a little thicker than yours. Sorry I can't post pics (I have a dumb phone)
you could also try www.antennamastsrus.com
Cheers Robert
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
Robert Simpson