News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Lucas break in oil (zinc)

Started by Jeff Moffo, May 20, 2015, 09:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

I just had my oil changed on my 76 DeVille and would like to add some Lucas Break In oil. Is it okay to add the whole bottle to my engine oil (which is full)?  Or does some of the oil need draining?
Thanks.
Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

35-709

How much zinc is in the oil you used for the oil change?  What brand and viscosity did you use?  How many ounces is the bottle of ZDDP that you want to add?  You CAN over dose the ZDDP.  4 or 6 ounces should not require draining some oil out, but depending on the oil you used, you may not need it.  There are oils available with enhanced levels of ZDDP that make adding more unnecessary.

Best thing to do is some internet research.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Moffo

Using 10W30 - with no ZDDP. The bottle
Of Lucas is 16 oz. Label says to add it to new oil at oil change.
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

35-709

Are you sure it has NO ZDDP?  It is my understanding that only non-detergent oils have no ZDDP, 10W-30 is not a non-detergent oil.  The levels of ZDDP have certainly been reduced in many modern formulations but the ZDDP has not been eliminated.  Usually an additional 4 to 6 ounces of ZDDP is sufficient with modern oils, you are looking for a ZDDP level of about 1200.  You can probably look up the amount of ZDDP in your oil by going on-line.  What brand is it?

I use Mobil 1 15W-50 in both of my 472s, not cheap but you can pretty much quadruple your oil change intervals and Wal-Mart has a  good price if you buy it by the 5 quart jug.  The Mobil 1 15W-50 has "enhanced levels" of zinc and is an SN rated oil which is what you want, no additional ZDDP is necessary.

;D  No don't work for Mobil, there are other excellent synthetic oils on the market.  I am just familiar with Mobil 1.  Not all Mobil 1 oils have enhanced levels of ZDDP.

Bobby B

Jeff,
  Hi. Why Break-in oil? That's usually for start-up of a new engine and gets dumped pretty much immediately. Valvoline VR1 is a good oil for older engines with an adequate level of Zinc. I try and stay away from any additives if possible, other than a little MMO in my fuel tank. Most stuff out there is Snake oil.
               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Grant Owen

I often see these postings about ZDDP (zinc) additives and the oils people use & smile with amusement . For older Vehicles why not just use the Lucas oil for Classic Cars & Hot Rods it already has ZDDP added  this is what I use on all my older Cars. As for using Synthetics older cars were not designed to use this & especially using Snake Oils with questionable ingredients can over time do more harm than good......I await all the challenges.

35-709

Synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 works very well in both of my 472s.  Between the two cars I have driven them approximately 30,000 miles.  Mobil 1 15W-50 is an SN rated oil and just right for older engines. 

I don't like using snake oils either but for those not bothering to seek out and use motor oils specially blended for older engines with adequate amounts ZDDP, a ZDDP additive is a good choice.  My opinion.

Jon S

The break in oils provide sufficient ZDDP (I use 1/2 bottle (8 oz) of Red Line's).  It's also 1/2 the price of the ZDDP additives and provides the same protection.  The "specially blended" oils are just over-priced for no reason.  JMHO
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

76eldo

I agree with Grant.

At the Lake George GN there was a tech seminar on engines and engine building.
The person giving the talk was very experienced with race engines.
Basically the zinc was in oils back in the day to provide lubrication for the flat lifter/cam surfaces.
Since the early 90's all cars have roller lifters so that wear area of the flat lifter running on the cam is no longer present for newer cars.

He also said that it is much better to use an oil that has the zinc already in it than to use an additive that may not stay in suspension in the oil you are adding it to and may not be compatible with the oil you are using.

I switched to Lucas Hot Rod 10-40 in all of my older Cadillacs and my 66 Toronado.
It's expensive but I only drive a little bit each year on each car so I can keep the oil in the car for at least he full year.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)