News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1994 Cadillac Deville OBD code P059

Started by jmontgomery, May 20, 2015, 10:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmontgomery

I have a 1994 Deville with just over 76,000 miles. The car runs and drives fine, however after about a 15 minute drive the service engine soon displays on the message center. When I check the OBD it says P059 current code. What does this mean? I check the code list and it says trans input temp sensor? How can I fix it or stop it from lighting? Should I take it to the dealer? Cost? Is it bad to drive the car?

Dave Shepherd

Tran temp sensor is bad or the wiring is open.

jmontgomery

jmontgomery

I have been searching the inter-web and saw that there was a recall on this part early in the life of the vehicle. Does any one have any info on this recall?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Jeff, I found this posted on the other Cadillac site. (*I copied it to save you the trouble of going to that site which takes forever to load the page). Unfortunately it does not make for very pleasant reading.

I can just about guarantee you there will be no way of preventing the message from appearing on the dash - short of repairing the problem.

HTH, Eric

Not sure of your source for code info....but....in my material and memory a P059 is the code for the transmission/transaxle temperature sensor signal circuit being open....

Unfortunately, if it is the temperature sensor itself it is located under the side cover of the trans which generally necessiates removing the trans from the car to service.

Not postive of the wiring colors but you can check the trans temp sensor circuit at the 20 pin connector to the trans. My quick reference shows it to be the yel/blk wire -terminal M (high) and the blk wire - terminal L (low). The sensor is a thermister that has high resistence when the trans fluid is cold and the resistence decreases when the trans gets hot.

You can check the trans connector for bent pins, corrosion, trans fluid, etc. and clean and repair as required. Check across pins M and L of the trans for continuity and resistence with a VOM.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jmontgomery

Thanks Eric... sounds like it is a job for the Caddy dealer. The car is to nice to get rid of. Hoping maybe it is a loose connection. Maybe from an engine power wash before I owned the car.

Jeff