News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

heater vakuum wiring, 59 cadillac

Started by swiss, May 22, 2015, 09:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swiss

hello
have someone a Vakuum wiring of a 59 cadillac? im struggeling to get the hoses connect to the right parts, im talking about the Ventilation, heating Switch
also have someone a pic of the backside of the heating Switch? i have two electrical Switches there and one on the left. the ones behind i dont know when they have to Switch, and how it is now makes no sense, maybe some part at my Switch is missing, i bought it on ebay, also the Vakuum dose how it is right now makes for me no sense

59-in-pieces

Rainer,
I would like to help, but I don't understand your questions.
Perhaps you would take some photos of what parts are giving you trouble, and we can go forward.
There are a number of members on this forum who have 59 Cadillacs, and generally they are eager to help.
Where are you and the car
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

MY 59

Hi mate, here is an image fo the vacuum lines, to suit AC car though, not sure if yours is AC??

hope this is of some help :)

EDIT - link may not work, try this :)
http://cadillaclasalleclub.com.au/forums/index.php?topic=1839.0
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: swiss on May 22, 2015, 09:36:03 AM

have someone a Vakuum wiring of a 59 cadillac? im struggeling to get the hoses connect to the right parts, im talking about the Ventilation, heating Switch
The shop manual is full of good explanation. If you don't have one, I can sell the repro I have at home.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

swiss

swiss

could someone explain me how it works? where is the Vakuum hoses going? is the Vakuum switching something? how get aktivated, i connect the wires acc. the Diagramm, the motot dont start, are the two Switches mounted correct?one Switch will not be touched..... im happy about all help i get

swiss

swiss

the Vakuum circuit helps, but i have no ac

59-in-pieces

Rainer,
Dave gave you a link to the routing for the vacuum hoses - leads to Captain Morgan's post.
If you don't have AC ignore those hoses since you don't have the valves for that function.
The valves - small round gray structures on the control assemblies where the vacuum tubes attach.
The valves along with the steel cables operate the doors within the plenum to direct air flow - vent - heat - defrost.
You have removed the control assemblies and I trust you kept track of the cables and to which assembly they go.
I have attached some photos of the assemblies which show the electrical harnesses and plastic connectors.
The harnesses are made up of various colored wires which connect to the switches which control the fan and speeds.
Your harnesses seem to be made up of black wires.
You need to follow them back to the colored wire bundles from which they came and make sure the connections you have are connected to the proper spade on the switch.
Short of telling you to ring out - test for continuity - each of your home made wires, there is little more to add without more input - what you have done and specifically what works and what doesn't.
Finally, you should obtain a service manual and a good electrical wiring diagram.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

swiss

hello,
thats verry helpfull for the start, but some more questions,
the Vakuum, how is it switching? or is it switching as soon as the engine is running? it means with engine start the door open for the air?
how is the Switch in the blue circle is activated? because the Lever is in my part not touching it, or better the pin on the Lever, (red circle)
from the Vakuum Switch is an other Lever ( green), is the only function of it to Keep the 2 main Levers on Position, the Lever the spring is attached, or is this used to Switch the blue elektro Switch, a makro pic of this section would also be verry helpfull,
thanks a lot again, i pretty shure with your help i can achieve the Goal
rainer

59-in-pieces

Rainer,
I will ask again - where are you and the car???????????????
Pictures would be helpful - not just of the assembly but of the areas of the dash., the firewall in the heater area, under the dash in the plenum area.

Here is a macro of the portion of the assembly which controls the electrical switches as well as the vacuum valve, and cable.
I would think you can see far more details than from my macro.
There is no vacuum unless the car is running - and therefore the vacuum valve does not function without it.
The vacuum valve controls the vacuum actuator on the heater box in the engine compartment to open and close to direct heater & defroster air flows. see photo.
The valve positions are controlled by the rotation of the gray stud on top of the valve body, which in turn is controlled by the silver cam which is rotated by the levers on the face of the assembly in the car.
The cam you will see has curved sides with a detent (notch) and blocks which activate various switches and the valve by its relative position to those items (electrical - fan & speed , preheat coils & vacuum - door position in plenum)
That cam also has a stud - rusty looking - which has a cable which manually controls through the plenum the heater valve at the heater core just behind the firewall.

Without more direct information from you, I don't know how much more help I can be - because frankly, I don't understand what the problems or issues are.
Again you should get a service manual and electrical diagram.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

swiss

hey. i have an elektrik diagramm. teh elektrik is working and i connected acc. the diagramm. my issue i had is that a lot switches where missing when i bought the car. so. bought on ebay and they where sometimes incomplete.  therefore i need to understand how it should work and find out if i have all the stuff

swiss

by the way .59 supperior coach hearse

59-in-pieces

Dave,
Any help you can offer, more than me so far.

Roger,
Please excuse my ignorance - you are from Switzerland - and I can assume "swiss" is also, but he has not indicated his location.
I don't want to presume or offend anyone, but perhaps the difficulty here is, I don't understand.
Is it possible for you to communicate with "swiss' in a language that can help him.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Roger Zimmermann

Steve, yes I'm from Switzerland and, like you, I'm assuming too that "swiss" is from that country. I offered him the shop manual I have on stock but he did not react. He wrote that he has the electric diagram; maybe together with the shop manual. The way swiss is writing, he must be Swiss German, I'm Swiss French! I can speak German, but it's an horror for me to write this language.
As I have no '59 Cad, I cannot evaluate if the part he has is complete or not; therefore I did not wrote more.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

swiss

hello,
thanks for your help, and sorry for my late replay but i was out,
i found the issue, my Vakuum Switch was totally blocked, not turning, therefore my stupid questions, now it moves and the second elektric Switch was also assembled wrong, now everything makes sense. without your Pictures and help i didnt would have a Chance to find that out.
thanks again