News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 hydramatic drawings/info needed

Started by kkarrer, May 22, 2015, 08:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hello,
     Does anyone out there have the drawings for or the information on the assembly of the torus components?  I just want to double check on the assembly of the spring, bushing, brass thrust washer, and steel washer...the inner torus parts.  It appears that the brass thrust washer goes first, towards the front and then the spring and next the bushing (neck forward into the spring). Then the steel washer and then the two halves go together.  My 55 shop supplement, 56 shop manual, and 48 transmission manuals really don't show the exact assembly that I'm looking for.  The 56 manual is good, but that's a different transmission in many ways.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer  CenTex Regional Director
kkarrer@austin.rr.com
512-626-7268
1955 series 62 convertible

J. Gomez

Ken,

Hope this helps..! From the 1955 Group 20 MPL.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

kkarrer

J. Gomez,
     Thanks for that file.  It is helpful in that it shows the spring and bushing position, but apparently in 54-55 they included  brass and a steel thrust washers to facilitate fluid travel as rpms increase.  I'm just trying to be sure as to which one goes where.  The brass one has grooves and pretty much has to fit forward and the steel one has a protrusion on the inner diameter which indicates to me that it has to ride on the opposite end of the spring.  Most everything I'm finding is either 48-53 or jumps to 56 which is different and a jetaway, I think.
Thanks again,
Ken Karrer

Roger Zimmermann

1956 is effectively a different transmission. When I'm overhauling 56-63 Hydramatic transmissions, I'm usually taking the info from the proper shop manual. However, most of the time, manuals from Pontiac and Oldsmobile have better explanations. Remember also that cheaper 1956 Olds had the previous transmission and not the Jetaway. You may use that manual.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

Ken,

The attached document is from the 1948-1964 Delco transmission parts. This one shows the identical layout as the one I posted from the MPL but it also includes other GM models.

If additional trust washers were place in the 1955 model exclusively maybe these were listed or documented in the Serviceman.  ???

Yes the 1956 was a different monster and totally new designed from the earlier Hydramatic. 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

kkarrer

Jose,
     That's the "explosion"/illustration that I'm looking for alright, but it's just missing the two washers.  I'll have to see if the "service man" stuff is here on the forum.  I've seen them listed somewhere, but I've never seen the drawings of the torus for 55 like the one you have here for 48-53.
Thanks again,
Ken Karrer
512-626-7268
kkarrer@austin.rr.com

Roger Zimmermann

By looking at the spare parts book, I don't see those washers. I'm wondering if they were added to correct something. Unfortunataly for you, I have zero experience in those early transmissions; I'm dealing only with Jetaways.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

kkarrer

Roger and Jose,
      I finally figured it out.  The copper washer goes first towards the transmission, then the steel washer, and a snap ring goes next.  All of these can stay in place and do not prevent you from removing the two pieces of the driven and driving torus or the torus cover.  The torus cover is next then the rear half of the torus goes on and then another snap ring.  Next the bushing goes on the shaft with the largest aspect of it pointing to the transmission and the smaller neck pointed towards the front (flywheel and front torus half).  After that you load the big spring and then the front half of the torus.  You have to wiggle it a bit to get the bushing and spring to seat by pushing the front half of the torus back towards the transmission.  Once the front half is seated it is then spring loaded and you have to replace the retaining washer and then the big locking nut.  Once the locking nut is tightened you bend the edge of the retaining washer.   You are now ready to install the small flywheel to crank gasket and the 6 flywheel bolts.  Then the torus cover gasket must be put into place and the transmission is now mated to the flywheel with the 30 flywheel bolts.  I'll try to post a picture of the internal parts of the torus halves.
Thanks guys.  Look for me at CLC Grand Nationals in June.  I'll be showing my 55 convertible again this year.
Ken Karrer  CenTex Regional Director
1955 series 62