News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle grille, difference? Coupes vs Sedan's, series 50 vs 52 Coupes?

Started by MitchHodge, May 22, 2015, 10:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchHodge

1940 grilles are 2 piece with different grille sizes for the 50 & 52 series coupes? Grille sizes different in 1940 LaSalles for coupe's  than for sedan's?

48 bars vs 50 bars, top piece more less etc..

I have several grilles, tops and bottom half of different bar count,  and not sure which one goes to which model of 1940 LaSalle

Thank you for any feedback

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

No difference in coupes or sedans.  Front clips interchange completely.  50 and 52 series are different.  Interesting to look at the prices on these in the parts book.  The sum total of the bottom and top are the same between the two models but the individual prices are different.  I don't have a 50 series grille to look at but I will take a guess that maybe someone can confirm.  On the 52 series the top and bottom were die cast together and then broken apart at the proper spot for the hood line.  I am guessing the two models are the same casting except the break was at a different point.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

MitchHodge

I have both 50 bar count and 48 bar count for the bottom half, as well as several top half's that are different. when put together are the same length.
On your series 52, what is the bottom half bar count?

Thanks

Tom Boehm

Hello Mitch, My 1940 50 series Lasalle grill has 4 lines on the top and 50 lines on the bottom. And Brad, I too have long suspected the two series used the same grill casting cut in different places. Tom Boehm

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I went out to the garage and counted 48 bars on the lower grille of my Series 52. I never knew that there were different versions of the grille for the two series.

Looking closely, I can see where the original casting was cut to make two pieces. My grille is rechromed, so the cut edges are plated. I wonder if the original chrome was put on before or after the cut was done?

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Looking at two different original grille top sections it is cracked at the break line after chroming and painting the black.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo