News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Parking brake failure 84 Eldo

Started by DaveShreiner CLC#23834, May 23, 2015, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

Does anyone know if the rear disk brakes can be made to work with the parking brake cable after years of non-use of the parking brake?  I only recently learned that regular use of the parking brake is necessary to adjust the rear disk brakes.
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834

bcroe

You can try it; rebuilt calipers go about $60 each (NAPA) with most of the associated
hardware; and with a hefty core deposit.  Do check that your unused emergency brake
cable won't jam and leave the emergency on all the time.  I replaced my cables to be safe. 
Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

My experience with rear discs that have the parking brake in the caliper has been that you are lucky to have working brakes at all.   All of mine have ended up with stuck pistons that dragged and or leaks.  Those calipers are now being reproduced and are not very expensive.  I got a fully loaded (complete with pads and hardware) set from one of the 'hot rod' brake catalog places I think for around $100 shipped .   Quality seemed decent or at least as good as anything else you find these days.   

There are just too many moving parts in a harsh environment that is made worse by all the dissimilar metals and additional holes that needs a seals.    The mini drum in the center of the rotor like the Corvettes had and is common today is a much better solution.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

Thanks for all your comments.  I have 3 Eldos that have these rear disk brakes and only one has a working parking brake.  I have had stuck pistons in front and rear brakes over the years, but I didn't much use the parking brakes until I found out about their importance in adjusting the brakes for wear.  I was hoping I might get a fix other than replacing the calipers.  Replacing the rear calipers did work on the 1980 Eldo and I use them all the time.  It seems that after a period of non-use they rust or corrode and the parking brake doesn't work even if the cable is replaced or freed up.  It is good to use them, as they say, or lose them.

Thanks again!

--Dave
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834

TJ Hopland

Here is where I got my last set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381267255225?lpid=82&chn=ps

Don't remember if I got em off ebay or if I went direct to their site.  Only complaint is if they get your email address it takes years of what seems like daily 'newsletters' and clicking on unsubscribe to get off their list. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

Thanks for the link.  Here is a link for you if you want to avoid annoying emails and other nuisances.  https://dnt.abine.com/#/register
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834

DaveShreiner CLC#23834

TJ, I checked the link you gave me, which looks like what I need, but the compatibility chart on the same page said it was not compatible with either the 79 or the 84 Eldorados.  Is the compatibility chart not reliable?

--Dave
Dave Shreiner
CLC#23834

bcroe

I got them semi loaded (no pads) from NAPA:
left    SE4690       $67.49    core charge    $66.67
right  SE4689       $67.49    core charge    $66.67

I generally replace all hoses and calipers after a decade and a half; bad stuff
happens over time.  I have replaced all brake lines with SS or NiCu to make
updates easier and eliminate further corrosion. 

I would love to be able to change to the inside drum system.  My 79 Toro had trouble
free rear drums (like the rest of my cars), and if I ever find one complete, I may steal
the whole system and transfer it to my 79 Eldo. 

Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

If you look up the AC delco rear caliper on Rock Auto it lists it as  79-85 Riviera, Toronado, Eldorado and 80-85 Seville.   

79 Seville is not the same because that was a RWD car so it used the larger caliper that the 76-78 Eldo's used.

I sort of recall when I got them for my 80 Eldo it didn't list them as fitting that car either but they did.  The reason those calipers are made new is they are used for rear disc conversions. 

My 81 Riv has drums and they just work.  Braking performance does not really seem any different than the Eldo that had rear disc.   Apparently for the Riv and Toro rear disc was an option.  Eldo Seville it was standard 76 on.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

bcroe

Quote from: TJ Hopland
If you look up the AC delco rear caliper on Rock Auto it lists it as  79-85 Riviera, Toronado,
Eldorado and 80-85 Seville.   

I sort of recall when I got them for my 80 Eldo it didn't list them as fitting that car either but
they did.  The reason those calipers are made new is they are used for rear disc conversions. 

My 81 Riv has drums and they just work.  Braking performance does not really seem any
different than the Eldo that had rear disc.   Apparently for the Riv and Toro rear disc was
an option.  Eldo Seville it was standard 76 on.   

I knew 79 Toro had rear discs an an option (having owned one of each), suspected the
same for Riv.  But you are saying they continued to be an option for the 7 years, that
multiplies my chance of finding a drum setup by 7

After the discussion I am suspecting an answer to my Eldo rear lockup problem.  I had
to add a proportioning valve to the rears and crank it nearly to the limit, to make the car
safe in slippery weather.  The disc brake pads available come in organic (very sensitive
but sensitive to heat) and harder stuff (ceramic or semi-metallic, need more pressure but
tolerate more heat).  If my car somehow got ceramic in front and organic in the rear, it
would be a lot more prone to rear lockup, and it didn't help that my rear tires were a size
smaller.  Perhaps if I tried organic in front & ceramic in the rear, things would be a lot
better.  Also have 4 (new) tires all the same now. 

I prefer to have large brakes to begin with, and use the low performance organic elements,
which don't gouge out my rotors/drums nearly as much.  Changing them more often is no
big deal when you do your own.  Not into needing huge brake capacity here.    Bruce Roe