News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 365ci Distributor - Aftermarket Available?

Started by sctdixon, May 24, 2015, 12:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sctdixon

Looking to upgrade to a modern ignition system for my '56. Not concerned about "correctness", only would like to upgrade to better quality without points so I add an aftermarket FI system.

Anybody used something newer / aftermarket? I've searched and cannot find anyone who offers one for this year.

cadillac ken

I've not seen one, you're right. 

I've got to say though (my .02 worth), I've had both HEi and OEM throughout the years.  I drove my '55 Coupe De Ville as a daily driver and had not touched the points for over a year and a half.  Now if you talking about warming over the 365, than high RPMs could cause the old point float. 

If you locate a drop in for that motor, I'm sure others here, myself included, would like to know.

sctdixon

The only reason I'm looking for a more modern distributor is all the aftermarket fuel injection systems require a better ignition system than points.

BTW, I've purchased  a "PerTronix 1181LS Distributor Conversion Ignitor 12 V Kit" that is supposed to work for my year distributor, but have yet to install it. 

cadillac ken

it's a lot of work but I bet with enough time in my shop (lathe, bridgeport, etc.) I could mate the top of an HEI to the bottom of an OEM distributor.  I agree with the fuel injection, the HEI would be a better way to go-- especially now that they have a "small body" HEI available.  Why not just go with an LS motor?

kkarrer

I've restored a number of 55's and a few 56's and generally recommend the Pertronix.  (used it in my 41 too).  They're very easy to install, especially in the 55's and I've never had a problem with them.  I do carry a set of points and condenser in my kit in the trunk, but I've never had to use them.  The 1183 is for 55 and the 1181 is for 56 up.  The 1181 is a little tougher to install, but it's easy with the distributor out.  The only thing to watch out for is not leaving your key in the "on" position for too long because it can heat up the unit.  Also, be sure to get the coil that goes with the unit.  If you get the black one and remove their label it will all look OEM except for the red pertronix wire.  It cuts a lot of trouble shooting time...no more worries about dwell angle, point gap, or if you've got a good condenser or not.
Ken Karrer  CenTex Regional Director
1955 series 62 convertible

sctdixon

Cadillac Ken:

I would like to put a modern LS motor and trans in it (someday $$). I'm not a rich guy and it's not quite in the budget at the moment.

cadillac ken

I get that.  Just that here in Florida, the LS motors are getting relatively cheap at the scrap yards. 

There are some young guys down the street from my shop that do a lot of quickie builds to turn for a buck.  I see the Junk yard delivery truck pass my shop on a regular basis with a couple of LS's on the way to them quite often.

I'm kind of old school (currently have two 365 ci motors with tri-power looking for a home in a project), but i have to admit the LS (older ones) are kind of an attractive alternative.  But yes as you said and I agree, the newer ones can get really pricey.

good luck and keep us posted here on the board.