News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1971 Power Window Replacement

Started by Tom Jevcak, May 24, 2015, 05:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Jevcak

1971 Cadillac, Coupe de Ville:  I am in need of instructions on replacing the front door power window motor on my 1971 Coupe de Ville.  The door panels have been removed and I have a new motor. In looking at the new motor, it seems there are no direct bolt to motor points.  Therefore, I assume the motor fits in a bracket.  There are two bolts above the motor in the door skin right by the teeth of the window regulator above the motor.  In some manuals, there is mention of a “regulator spring”.  This spring was mentioned for later models.  It is hard to see in there so I don’t know if there is a spring or not.  If so, does it have to be held is some way for the motor replacement?  Also, how is the “motor gear to regulator teeth” put into correct register?  What determines when the motor stops at both the up and down window positions?  I am fairly mechanical having worked on my other old cars.  But, I find that sometimes it is better to get a “Heads up tips” on something that I am not familiar with or cannot see in well enough to determine a fix.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Emails o.k. but a phone call would probably be easier.  Thank you Tom Jevcak, Phone: (813) 837-3111.

Scot Minesinger

Tom,

Get a 1971 GM Body by Fisher manual, they are on e-bay all the time.  Just replaced a power window motor on a 72 Eldorado.  The window mechanism needs to be supported when motor is off the car.  Should be a strict swap with original motor.  The new motor was opposite motion, so had to switch the wires (at motor) or moving switch up position lowered window and vice versa.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Tom Jevcak

Thank you very much.  I have the 1971 GM Fisher Body Service Manual.  The remove/replacement instructions are not there.  It tells how to test the motor, and the last thing it says is replace the motor if defective.  Maybe the 72 Fisher Body Service Manual has more instructions?

Tom Jevcak

Scot,
Upon further review of the Fisher Body Manual, I do see power window motor removal instructions.  Is it true that you actually have to drill three 3/4 inch holes in the door to get to the motor attachment bolts?  Thanks again.

mgbeda

That is pretty much true, about drilling the three holes.  It is possible to remove the whole regulator assembly, with much cursing, and then get take the motor off that way, but it is a lot of work, and it undoes all the window alignment.  It's a lot easier to just drill the three holes, which is no doubt why the shop manual says to do it that way.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

It would have taken no more effort to make the door with the holes already stamped in it.  Sometimes you just shake your head.  Who signed off on having to drill holes in the door to replace a part that is prone to failure?? 
Jeff

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Tom Jevcak

Mb and Jeff:  Thank you for your input.  This will help me get through the frustration of the Power Window Motor Replacement.  I will post when this job is completed.  Again, thank you.

bcroe

Quote from: Jeff Rose      CLC #28373
It would have taken no more effort to make the door with the holes already stamped in it.  Sometimes you just shake your head.  Who signed off on having to drill holes in the door to replace a part that is prone to failure?? 
Jeff 

They were more interested in selling you another car than helping fix the old one, even in 71.  Its
only getting worse.  I haven't forgotten cutting a hole in the inside fender of my 68 to change a
blower motor.  And a few other things; my cars here have a lot of subtle mods.  Bruce Roe